Fayetteville, Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The numbers:
FC 12, CYA 78, PH 6, TA - NOT CERTAIN
CYA is high because I used tabs (I know). Water is clear. When I add the R-007 and R-008, the solution instantly turns red not green. The calculator indicates a 50% water replacement or 15,000 gals. Not gonna do it. Will replace as evap and rain occurs. Should I go with calculator recommend adjustments for the pH and TA?

If poolmath says you need to replace half the water, it's because you entered a target that was half of what you're at now. It's not the low TA. It's the CYA of 78. Change that target to 78 and the obstacle is gone.

You DO need to raise pH and TA. And fast. That low pH has got to leave people's eyes burning.
The FC level is actually okay. Maybe 1 or 2 higher than it has to be, but certainly below shock level and safe to swim in.

Do you have any leftover pH Up/ pH Increaser laying around? That's exactly the same thing as Washing Soda or Soda Ash and will raise pH and TA. If you have nothing handy and have to go buy some, then you'll need some Baking Soda to raise TA and some Borax to raise pH or some Washing Soda to do both at once, but it's harder to predict where the TA will end up that way.

Let us know which chemicals you have or plan to buy and we can walk you through figuring out how much of each you'll need. And as an aside, those pucks that have been driving up your CYA --- they're also very acidic and are why you're having to deal with the pH crash and the missing TA.

Also keep in mind you should target TA to the point where pH is stable in YOUR pool, not a specific number on a chart. The number guidelines are a suggestion of where pH stability should occur, however there are outside factors that may effect this in your specific pool, such as if you have very acidic fill water or high levels of acidic or basic blown in dust, ....

In other words search out pH stability and note what your TA number is, not the other way around.

I used tabs to open because bagged shock is pricey. I know, should have used bleach instead. I will be adding the soda for the ph and ta. I have a mesh cover and used tabs to shock level to water cleared, vacuumed and didn't use floc. There are no shortcuts to properly opening.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.