Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA Question

1. Back To Top    #1

TA Question

The numbers:
    FC 12, CYA 78, PH 6, TA - NOT CERTAIN
    CYA is high because I used tabs (I know). Water is clear. When I add the R-007 and R-008, the solution instantly turns red not green. The calculator indicates a 50% water replacement or 15,000 gals. Not gonna do it. Will replace as evap and rain occurs. Should I go with calculator recommend adjustments for the pH and TA?
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA Question

Yes, you need to get the pH up in the 7's. Borax will raise both TA and pH. You can also point the returns up so they churn the water which also raises pH.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If poolmath says you need to replace half the water, it's because you entered a target that was half of what you're at now. It's not the low TA. It's the CYA of 78. Change that target to 78 and the obstacle is gone.

You DO need to raise pH and TA. And fast. That low pH has got to leave people's eyes burning.
    The FC level is actually okay. Maybe 1 or 2 higher than it has to be, but certainly below shock level and safe to swim in.

Do you have any leftover pH Up/ pH Increaser laying around? That's exactly the same thing as Washing Soda or Soda Ash and will raise pH and TA. If you have nothing handy and have to go buy some, then you'll need some Baking Soda to raise TA and some Borax to raise pH or some Washing Soda to do both at once, but it's harder to predict where the TA will end up that way.

Let us know which chemicals you have or plan to buy and we can walk you through figuring out how much of each you'll need. And as an aside, those pucks that have been driving up your CYA --- they're also very acidic and are why you're having to deal with the pH crash and the missing TA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Also keep in mind you should target TA to the point where pH is stable in YOUR pool, not a specific number on a chart. The number guidelines are a suggestion of where pH stability should occur, however there are outside factors that may effect this in your specific pool, such as if you have very acidic fill water or high levels of acidic or basic blown in dust, ....

In other words search out pH stability and note what your TA number is, not the other way around.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I used tabs to open because bagged shock is pricey. I know, should have used bleach instead. I will be adding the soda for the ph and ta. I have a mesh cover and used tabs to shock level to water cleared, vacuumed and didn't use floc. There are no shortcuts to properly opening.
    Last edited by Rangerman; 06-12-2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Mistake