Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding chlorine to new pool while filling.

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding chlorine to new pool while filling.

Brand new above ground pool is installed and filling with water. It's about half full and I tested the water. CL is .5 and pH is 7.5. If I add chlorine before the pool is full and filter is running do I stir up the water to be sure it's evenly distributed?
    TerriP
    27'x54" AGP - 2HP Hayward SWIMPRO LX PUMP - SW150 Hayward SWIMPRO Voyager Element Tank- - Dyna-Skim Wide Mouth Skimmer SP1091WM - Aquaray vaccuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding chlorine to new pool while filling.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriP View Post
    If I add chlorine before the pool is full and filter is running do I stir up the water to be sure it's evenly distributed?
    Yes, that is best
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I should have written, "how do I stir up the water after adding bleach if the pool is not filled, yet?"
    TerriP
    27'x54" AGP - 2HP Hayward SWIMPRO LX PUMP - SW150 Hayward SWIMPRO Voyager Element Tank- - Dyna-Skim Wide Mouth Skimmer SP1091WM - Aquaray vaccuum

4. Back To Top    #4

A pool brush works.

Realistically, raising half your pool volume up to 2.5 FC will only take three cups of bleach. You can slosh that in and direct the hose stream where you poured it and shake it around a little to get the bleach to disperse.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Just use your brush and sweep around a bit as best as you can.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!