Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling with garden hose, safe?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling with garden hose, safe?

I noticed the garden hose that I used to fill my pool gives off a terrible smell when dispensing hot water after it has been sitting in the sun. Also, I tasted just a bit of it and could tell the garden hose taste was present. This of course is only when the hot water from the sun is in the hose that has been sitting there. I had never really thought about this, but should I be concerned about filling my pool with this hose? I would like to think that after the water has run through the pool and displaced all of the hot water, that any dangerous chemicals would be removed or at least reduced to a safe level? I am concerned of course because my grandchildren swim in the pool. Does anybody have any insight on this? I'm probably just being paranoid, but would like to know everybody's thoughts on this. Now of course, while swimming I keep thinking I can have a strange taste, but I'm thinking is just from the salt addition.

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling with garden hose, safe?

Some hoses do release chemicals that you would not want to drink (this is why there are special hoses used for drinking water). Problem is worse for the hot stagnant water (like how you should not drink bottle water that has sat in a hot car).

I think if you turn the hose and and water the grass until the stagnant water out, then you would not really be adding much of anything to the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What else would you fill your pool with exactly?
    25,000 Gallons Inground, Gunite
    DE, Hayward Filter
    Loud pump
    Hayward navigator cleaner, leaf hose suction

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are that concerned, get a hose that os safe for drinking from.

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Filling with garden hose, safe?

Quote Originally Posted by weird_tolkienish_f View Post
    What else would you fill your pool with exactly?
    They make hoses that are chemical and lead free that are safe for drinking from, the hose I used is not such. These chemical free hoses are common, the one I used came with the house, wish I would not used it but I am hoping that once the water ran through it that it was good water coming out. If I was doing it over, I would have made sure the hose was hazard free. You can buy them anywhere. Hoping someone here would have some insight.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tlevy View Post
    If you are that concerned, get a hose that os safe for drinking from.

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    I fully intend on doing that, my question is the water in my pool currently, is it safe?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

While the quart or so of water that was setting in the hose may have some chemical contaminants in it, by the time that is diluted into thousands of gallons of water, it's of no concern. That is of course assuming that your swimming pool is not your primary source of all drinking water.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

On a side topic the ones that are drinking water safe are typically white with a stripe
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

RV supply hoses are made to be drinking water safe. They are usually white.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Also I don't know what length you need, but Amazon had a really cheap price on a 25 ft drinking water safe hose a couple of weeks ago. (I ordered one for a non-pool project) Amazon.com: Camco 22783 TastePURE Drinking Water Hose (5/8) - Lead Free: Automotive Overall it seems good, but does have a plastic connector.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks everybody, I figured after the contaminated water was displaced the ensuing water would be fine. Just wanted verification for peace of mind. I always want to be sure I'm not doing anything that would put harm to my grandchildren.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Lykly View Post
    They make hoses that are chemical and lead free that are safe for drinking from, the hose I used is not such. These chemical free hoses are common, the one I used came with the house, wish I would not used it but I am hoping that once the water ran through it that it was good water coming out. If I was doing it over, I would have made sure the hose was hazard free. You can buy them anywhere. Hoping someone here would have some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's no such thing as chemical free. Even you are a mix of carbon and hydrogen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    While the quart or so of water that was setting in the hose may have some chemical contaminants in it, by the time that is diluted into thousands of gallons of water, it's of no concern. That is of course assuming that your swimming pool is not your primary source of all drinking water.
    Drinking stagnant hose water that has been out in the sun? Yum!
    25,000 Gallons Inground, Gunite
    DE, Hayward Filter
    Loud pump
    Hayward navigator cleaner, leaf hose suction

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by weird_tolkienish_f View Post
    There's no such thing as chemical free. Even you are a mix of carbon and hydrogen.

- - - Updated - - -

Drinking stagnant hose water that has been out in the sun? Yum!
    I think what he meant to say was hoses that do not leach as many chemicals as your standard garden hose. But point is well made - we are all a bunch of hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen(?) and carbon, with some other trace elements to make up the rest...

20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump