Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool store is recommending Phos Free???

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool store is recommending Phos Free???

My pool is currently algae free, but a tinge cloudy.

current test today as follows :
    FAC 10
    TAC 10
    CH 220
    CYA 60
    TA 110
    PH 7.8
    Copper 0
    iron 0
    TDS 1000
    Phosates 300

They said my phosphates where high.

does Phosaphates contribute to the cloudiness?
    Is there some other (less expensive) than phosfree you all wolud recommended.

1) 16,000 gallons
    2) cartridge
    3) in ground
    4) Pebbletec (Shasta stone)
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter. Need to find out.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Pool store is recommending Phos Free???

Hey there Mr2005- Phosphates are not an issue at *all* in a pool that has the proper amount of chlorine in it. If your FC level has dropped below your necessary level and let algae take hold, you need bleach to kill it.

If you dont want to spend those dollars on PhosFree (which we do NOT recommend) you could put them to better use towards buying your own test kit. A pool as big as yours needs better testing than pool stores provide. Keep in mind that those tests are often inaccurate and they need to sell you something to cover the cost of the testing supplies.

I would recommend the TF-100 test kit from Amazon, or

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3

Sacramento, CA

Was that pool store Leslie's? The print out always says high phosphates. I think is just included in the standard language. My pool has high phosphates, high dissolved solids and high calcium it still sparkles.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I hope you didn't buy that stuff.

For what it costs, you've just paid for half of a TF100. Get one of those and you'll never have to set foot in a pool store again except to buy obscure bits of hardware.

Cloudiness can come from a bad filter and a lot pf windblown debris, but more commonly from algae. At the instant your water was tested, you had sufficient chlorine to prevent algae. That doesn't mean that has always been the case. It doesn't take much algae to cloud things, but if it doesn't get killed off completely, it reaches a stalemate, where you're adding chlorine and algae is dying at the same rate new algae is growing. And so you have a never-ending supply of dead bleached algae carcasses to cloud the water and clog the filter. After a few days of that, the temperature will rise or your chlorine level will dip and algae will take over and the next thing is that your pool is green.

I just looked at your post history and you've been relying on the pool store to test your water since at least 2011. You've had algae a few times and a water replacement. Aren't you ready yet to take control and get your own test kit? Aren't you tired of seeing this?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!