33' round or 18'x34' oval?

jpelizza

Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
Upstate NY
Ok i'm new at this pool stuff so i may have all this wrong but here goes.

- looking at either putting in 33' round radiant or the 18'x34' oval radiant.
- in either one looking to do expandable liner so that one end of pool is deep down to about 6-7'
- location for both is most likely into side hill so 1/2 is 3-3.5 feet sunk and other side is out completely.

So here are my questions for now:
- price 33' kit is about 8600, the 18x34 oval is 11,100. It makes more sense money wise to go with round seems like. I be getting much more pool (854 sq/ft to about 575 sq/ft). My concern is that gallons the round since much bigger will be about 8000 gallons more maybe so keeping the temperature up may be a lot harder to do and cost more $$ in long run?
- also if going with round i'm wondering how much harder solar cover to put on and off may or may not be compared to the oval shape.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

joe

You're going to get more swimming space in the round compared to the oval for a lot less money. As far as the dollar cover, if you can't find a reel big enough, cut the cover in sections. It works perfectly and is easy to manage.

My vote is the round.

Around 33' pool is really big. So yea putting the cover on May be difficult but not that much more difficult.

I prefer the oval but that's me. They take more work to build, they cost more.

The main factor in retaining heat is surface area so the oval will stay warmer at least in theory. It will be noticeably less expensive to heat if you add a heater

I have a 33' round above ground. It IS a BIG pool!! 25,000 gallons to be exact. We have no problem heating it with the combination of a solar cover and a H200 heater. I will NOT lie..everything from the solar cover to the winter cover is a "big deal" when putting on and taking off. They are heavy when wet, and a pain in the butt. We have a 33' solar cover reel that sits across the pools center line...it does a good job for rolling it up, but it's still a pain removing it completely. But...we love how much room we have to swim...so it has it's positives and negatives.

I wish I could have a 33ft pool! I've seen a few and they are massive! If I had the room, I'd have one!

thanks for info, a lot to consider and i think all your points is what i'm concerned about.

I have a 33' round above ground. It IS a BIG pool!! 25,000 gallons to be exact. We have no problem heating it with the combination of a solar cover and a H200 heater. I will NOT lie..everything from the solar cover to the winter cover is a "big deal" when putting on and taking off. They are heavy when wet, and a pain in the butt. We have a 33' solar cover reel that sits across the pools center line...it does a good job for rolling it up, but it's still a pain removing it completely. But...we love how much room we have to swim...so it has it's positives and negatives.

we are thinking the same thing if we can do the 33' which we trying to figure exactly where but think we can then might be worth it. the oval can fit for sure but just concerned size may be a bit small. we family of 5 and little ones getting bigger all the time!

I wish I could have a 33ft pool! I've seen a few and they are massive! If I had the room, I'd have one!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have an 18x33 oval with a deep end and we love it. I do agree that the round will give you much more space, but my oval is still huge compared to all of the other pools I've seen. We also have a big family (2 adults, 2 teens, and 2 younger children).
If you can't get the round to fit, I promise the oval is still worth it.

I have a 27' round. That seems to be about the point that things start to cost a lot more. 25' and less, covers and such seems to be a good deal cheaper. I never really looked at the pricing on oval supplies, but I do know the round is $$$. However, I still like my 27' pool. I don't think I would go with anything smaller if given the choice. Solar covers are not that bad to put on or take off. I just pull mine over the edge into a holder. I do it myself and it takes2-3 minutes. I have some ideas kicking around in my head for a reel that I can totally pivot off of the pool onto two storage posts. but that is just because it would be easier, not because I think it is necessary.

-dave

We have an 18x33 oval with a deep end and we love it. I do agree that the round will give you much more space, but my oval is still huge compared to all of the other pools I've seen. We also have a big family (2 adults, 2 teens, and 2 younger children).
If you can't get the round to fit, I promise the oval is still worth it.

i'm glad to know that size on the 18x34 sounds like it should be plenty big enough. we have seen the 16x28 at the store and its always hard to visualize the bigger size even though we have drawn it out on the lawn like 10x, lol thanks for your input!

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 27' round. That seems to be about the point that things start to cost a lot more. 25' and less, covers and such seems to be a good deal cheaper. I never really looked at the pricing on oval supplies, but I do know the round is $$$. However, I still like my 27' pool. I don't think I would go with anything smaller if given the choice. Solar covers are not that bad to put on or take off. I just pull mine over the edge into a holder. I do it myself and it takes2-3 minutes. I have some ideas kicking around in my head for a reel that I can totally pivot off of the pool onto two storage posts. but that is just because it would be easier, not because I think it is necessary.

-dave

thats a good idea i will look at 33 round prices on things and that may help me decide

We love our 27' round and sometimes I think we should have gone bigger, but it is still plenty big. I get in the water and push the liner to opposite side and secure to railing with bungee cords. Works great. I just remove cords and float liner back over water and get out. Easy-peazy!

I agree with doc8404. We love our 30 foot round. Lots of space for everyone. My winter cover usually lasts 4 + seasons and my solar cover 3. I buy the cheapest solar I can find since even the move expensive ones don't seem to last any longer. My winter cover was About $350, so less than a $100 a year so far. I hope to get at least 2 more winters out of it. Using the TFP method, my cost to keep the pool clean is hardly anything.

I agree with doc8404. We love our 30 foot round. Lots of space for everyone. My winter cover usually lasts 4 + seasons and my solar cover 3. I buy the cheapest solar I can find since even the move expensive ones don't seem to last any longer. .

thanks for the idea/advice. Will keep it in mind as I was thinking "when this solar cover goes, I'm buying the BEST out there to heat this bad boy up"
Our winter cover is from Radiant, appears good quality (except the part where my wife ripped it taking it out of the track this spring LOL...first year).

i really appreciate everyones input here, we are starting to lean in the 18x34 oval direction. it makes the most cents (pun intended) i think for us as it will give us two options for location, less water to heat and maintain, easier to put into side hill. the only thing i really don't like is the price difference thats my biggest beef!, lol

We had to decide on the larger round vs the 18x33 oval when we built ours and I'm glad I went with the oval. You WILL be replacing things, sometimes more often than you planned to, and that bigger sized round just starts costing more and is much harder to find good deals on. My relatives went with the larger round and love their pool but I know they cuss like sailors when someone has to do the on/off routine all by themselves, which ends up being a lot more than you want also (we all end up with that burden.) Everyone wants to play, but it's the pool fanatic that ends up doing all the work and upkeep. Our 18x33 is very large and fits nicely into the yard area, the deck was easy to design/build off one end as well without sucking up huge amounts of yard. JMHO - BTW - shop around, pretty sure you can find a very good quality pool that size at much less than $11,000

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.