Need advice on replacing pump and filter...

Apologies for my scattered conversation... I ask a lot of questions... and jump from topic to topic. Just overly hyper!!

I'm having an issue with me D.E. filter not coating... I'm on my third attempt, and can't manage to fix it. I have so much DE kicked back into my pool... totally disgusted.
I purchased the equipment used so it's roughly about 10 years old now... but taken care of well (always stored away for the season). This is my third summer with it, and here's what I've done so far:

Last summer, I replaced the grid element (which is in perfect shape as I cleaned and stored it after the season last year). Definitely no rips or tears.
I had also replaced the O-ring for the filter head last summer... which was an original Hayward at near $50. I took that off last year when closing, and stored it in a ziplock bag... but it seems like it stretched out?? Odd!
No matter how many O-rings I purchase now, they seem to feel like they are a hair thinner in diameter than what I had last year... though I'm assured from all sources that it's the correct O-ring. Bought from 3 different sources... all are the same size. Maybe the one I have has swollen?

I obviously have a leak, because water is dripping from where the filer head meets the body (I'm still thinking it may be O-ring related??).
-I have tried lubing the snot out of the current O-ring so that I can create a tighter seal... no go!
-I have tried shrink wrapping all the areas in hopes of isolating air leaks... no go!

I've decided to just bite the bullet and buy a whole new setup. My dilemma...
Do I go with a smaller pump which is what comes standard on most of the systems I've seen (1 hp. vs. the 1/5 hp. I have now)?? My pump is working fine, but my husband glued the heck out of the connection to the filter (because he cracked it)... and I don't want to take a chance on having another dilemma trying to hook up a new filter to an old pump.

I have a 15 x 30 oval AG pool... roughly 13.K gallons and do Saltwater
Do I need a DE filter bigger than the Hayward DC30? It says for up to 16,000 gallons, but it also says up to 12 x 24 pools. Huh??. I also read reviews that said it couldn't filer a smaller pool properly. If not this model, how is the DC40? What about the DC50??...still with the 1 hp. Will I notice a big difference in performance since I'm used to the 1.5? How will vacuuming work with the smaller pump?

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot why my filter is giving me a hard time?
What would be the cost of having someone come out and service it? Living in Suffolk county, Long Island NY.
I don't want to keep flushing money down if at the end I still need more equipment.
Any suggestions on how to remove all that DE without getting rid of tons of water in the process? My current filter does not have all those setting I see on other filters... I've just been vacuuming... opening up the filter... dumping everything... and starting from scratch... to no avail.

Very frustrated and ready to just buy new (but I'd rather not). HELP ME!!!!!

If it were me, and I were you, I'd buy a sand filter, keep the pump, and plan to re-plumb from the pump to the filter and back into the rest of the system. If unfamiliar with PVC pipe fitting and gluing, I'd hire a plumber or experienced all-rounder builder type to do that part.

If you put up some pics of your gear and the challenges, you will probably get some other ideas here as well.

Another option is to get a price for filter plus installation from a pool store or pool tech that you trust. The experts here can advise about brand and size. They'll steer you in the right direction.

Here's a link or two about filters:
Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Cathy, do you really want a DE filter? I have a cart filter but the easiest is the sand filter... A big huge filter is what you want :)

this pump will save money on 2 fronts, it is 1 hp and 2 speed and very energy efficient
Amazon.com : Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

Use 2 of these to connect to the pump
Praher UNION, 1-1/2 SLIP, HIGH TEMP (215-906) - INYOPools.com

I have and love this filter, it keeps the pool very clean, no issues, I only clean it once a year ****full disclosure, I have not had a swamp so I have no idea how many times it would need cleaned in a SLAM..
Amazon.com : Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320 Square Foot In Ground Cartridge Pool Filter - 160340 : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

If you want a sand filter this one is great, you will also need the valve with it..
Amazon.com : Pentair Triton II Side Mount Filter TR100 Fiberglass Sand Filter without Valve : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

I hope this helps :)

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to stay with the DE as I like the quality of the way it filters. Just need to be better at troubleshooting the why's and how's. Will keep on checking back here for additional info and suggestions... please keep them coming!!

In the meantime... I think I'll give it one more try. Gonna try and vacuum up as much as I can without kicking it all back... dump it, clean everything, and reassemble. Hoping by some miracle this time it will stick. If not, I'll be ordering new equipment because I've just about had it with this scenario.

Yes, I have seen that page... and I have finally resolved my issue. The lid to my filter needed to be screwed down one more turn.

I knew something wasn't right when the safety wouldn't engage. I guess from just getting old, the threads have become quite tough... and what felt like tight... wasn't tight enough. Sometimes, you just need brute strength... and even then we had some difficulty. But, alas, the filter is working... and I have nearly 10 lbs. of DE to vacuum up. Ugh!!! :(
I guess that's a better trade off than spending hundreds on new equipment.
This is one more of those lessons I painfully learned, and won't repeat again!!

Thanks guys... It's great to have the hand-holding during a crisis.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.