Pool water is still light green after 2 weeks of slam!

Hello... My pool water has been a light green color after 2 weeks or more of slamming. I think I have algae that settles in the grooves of the liner in the morning & evening. I have been vacuuming to the filter and wonder if I should be vacuuming to waste? Here were my numbers using the TF-100 kit about an hour ago. We purchased our home last June and were able to take it from black water full of tadpoles and frogs to a beautiful clear pool using your method. I'm not sure what I'm doing different. Love this sight though!

CYA 50
FC 22
PH 7.5
CH 75
TA 70

According to the calculator, I need baking soda and calcium chloride, but do you think I should worry about that until my water is clear or pass the OCLT?

I really appreciate any advice!:D

No you do NOT need calcium in a vinyl pool. Make sure you're specifying your pool surface when using PoolMath. That part is all the way down at the bottom.

Your pH and TA are also fine. Pool School - Recommended Levels

Are you brushing daily to disrupt any biofilm that algae has produced as a defense? This should be done daily. Have you checked areas for hidden algae such as the skimmer, bottom of the stair rungs, etc? Those places can hide lots of algae which can hinder your efforts.

DSC_3506.jpg

Thank you all for the input! Here's a picture of our pool this morning and we are still a pretty shade of green with some sediment or algae in the grooves of the liner. Is it ok to slam at algae level 24 to see if that will help? I'm also thinking of asking my husband to take the steps back out, but I dread to do that as he's ready to get rid of it. The grandkids are giving him a fit to swim! Oh well, I'm off to scrub the pool. Thank you again!

Thank you! I will do an OCLT tonight to make sure it's not algae. I have vacuumed all the brownish stuff that seems to collect on the floor of the pool and scrubbed like crazy! I am hoping that my refill for the R-0871 arrives today or that I have enough left for the OCLT tonight/morning. Thank you again!

Hello! Just wanted to give an update. I received my test kit refill yesterday and did the OCLT last night and my FC went down from 25 last night to 20 this morning. We accidentally added a little more chlorine than needed! I had to vacuum a lot of brownish/reddish powder from the grooves this morning and didn't add any chlorine to start the day since my CYA went down to 30. I did have to add some this afternoon the get the FC back up to slam. Is it possible algae is hiding in my ladder? We didn't put it back in until we started slamming, but I'm willing to take it out if that could be a possible hiding place. I'm also going to order DE for pools since all I can find is DE/bentonite clay mixture in our farm supply. I believe my husband added some new sand this year before we heard that wasn't necessary. We just bought our place last June and this is all new to us. My husband is so ready to take this pool down, but I still have faith that this is gonna work as it did last summer and it was a black lagoon! Thank you so much for this forum and all your expertise advice!

CYA is very slow to degrade on its own (a couple of percent per month), in general it is only lost through water replacement. Try OCLT again tonight, my guess looking at it is you may have both algae and metals

the ladder may be hiding algae

DSC_3516.jpg
Hello!
Sorry I haven't given an update, but we've had our grandsons some this summer and it's been hectic! I wanted to show you how beautifully clear our pool water is and say "THANK YOU" for all your advice. We eventually took our steps out and I spent some time washing out all the sand that was in them and squirting bleach in also. The steps undoubtedly were the cause of our algae problem that wouldn't go away. My husband drilled a few extra holes in the bottom & sides of the steps for the shock water to be able to flow through and tied some bricks to the underneath to weigh it down in the water. The grandkids and our whole family have finally been able to enjoy the pool thanks to you and this forum! Thank you, thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.