Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often shall I replaced the cartridge in the filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often shall I replaced the cartridge in the filter?

Hi

Cartridge is in its second year. We have noticed a small film on top of the water that wasn't there last year. I am just wondering how often does the cartridge has to be replaced. I have a 3200 GA above ground pool.

Thxs

Pat
    12' AG, 3200GA, cartridge filter, pool installed 6/20/2015, Taylor K-2006 test kit,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often shall I replaced the cartridge in the filter?

The only time a cartridge needs to be replaced is if the fabric rips or the end caps don't seal well. Otherwise they can last a very long time. I just replaced my filter after 10 years because the end caps no long sealed and debris was getting by the filter.

But a film on top of the water doesn't necessarily mean you have a bad filter. Do you know what the film is (e.g. oil, pollen, etc)? If oil, use scum balls in the skimmer. You can also try a skimmer sock.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How often shall I replaced the cartridge in the filter?

I don't know what the film is. I will try the balls you mention.

Thxs a lot for the answer

Pat
    12' AG, 3200GA, cartridge filter, pool installed 6/20/2015, Taylor K-2006 test kit,