Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Umbrella deal

1. Back To Top    #1

Umbrella deal

For those of you who live in the south and have an Academy store, they have 9' tilting Market umbrellas for $29.00 and a base for $19.00. They also have anti-gravity loungers for $49.00. Solids and stripes are the same amount and they have, at least in my store, a decent selection of colors.

We bought 2 umbrellas and 2 stands and a blue lounger. We'll see how long they hold up, but at that price I could by a new one every year and still be ahead!

Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Umbrella deal

Those umbrellas look like the ones we picked up at a grocery store. Worked really well ... Until a freak wind gust at a party a few weeks ago sent one sailing across the yard and 2 into the pool, one with its granite base. I think 1 is still semi functional. The metal is very thin.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

JBlizzle, good to know! I wasn't expecting too high quality, but was hoping they'd at least get us through the summer.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

4. Back To Top    #4

I think they would've lasted 2 to 3 years if not for the stupid wind.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

was at Sams club at their $119 umbrella with sunbrella fabric gets solid reviews but $29 is tough to beat if they last 2-3 years here in TX.. tempting.. similar chair at Sams was for $69 and appeared to have an attached drink tray at a quick glance.

6. Back To Top    #6

thats a good price. i purchased one at walmart for 29 bucks and i'm really happy with it also. i've always owned costco umbrellas but you cant beat having 3 for the price of 1.
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

7. Back To Top    #7

We had terrible luck with those same chairs from Academy a few years back. The 20 or 30 rings in the blue surface all rusted to nothing after a season. Worst part some of the rusty metal found its way into the pool and caused staining.

-Mike
    IG Vinyl 18x36 28500 Gallon SWG Taylor K2006 Test Kit
    380 Gallon Master Spa Chlorine for sanitizer

8. Back To Top    #8

Keeping umbrellas from blowing around is always the problem. I have a granite base that weighs 40 lbs. and that was never enough. I filled four 5 lb. protein powder containers with concrete and they fit perfectly on the base. I made a sheet metal cover to pretty it up. The total weight is 200 lb. It has never moved.

9. Back To Top    #9

I bought 3 of those umbrellas at the beginning of last season. I have 2 "umbrella holders" in my pool decking and another one on my sun shelf, so I don't use weighted bases. On one rather windy day, I had an umbrella lift out of the holder. Otherwise, they worked very well.

Now that we are smack dab into the middle of year 2 with the umbrellas, I am pleasantly surprised how well they are holding up. The canopies and extending hardware still work perfectly. The amount of color fading is minimal. I do, however, have a salt pool so the poles are starting to show a bit of corrosion. I do not expect that the hardware will last into the 2017 swim season.

But, man, for only $30, these umbrellas are great. We are so happy with the Academy-branded stuff that we bought a few of the anti-gravity loungers and regular chairs in coordinating colors. Highly recommended!
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by DaneCE View Post
    Keeping umbrellas from blowing around is always the problem. I have a granite base that weighs 40 lbs. and that was never enough. I filled four 5 lb. protein powder containers with concrete and they fit perfectly on the base. I made a sheet metal cover to pretty it up. The total weight is 200 lb. It has never moved.
    Can you post a picture for us?
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for the post. I've been looking for more ideas myself.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by darin.brown View Post
    was at Sams club at their $119 umbrella with sunbrella fabric gets solid reviews but $29 is tough to beat if they last 2-3 years here in TX.. tempting.. similar chair at Sams was for $69 and appeared to have an attached drink tray at a quick glance.
    Those $119 Sam's Club umbrellas go on sale at the end of the year. Watch for it. I bought 3 of them last year for $39 each. No color selection was left, but at that price........
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu07 View Post
    Can you post a picture for us?
    Sure!

14. Back To Top    #14

Nice!

That is the base that ended up in my deep end
    Luckily I have yet to find any damage to the pebble surface.
    Jason, TFP Moderator