Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you have to add DE every time you backwash?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you have to add DE every time you backwash?

Is it normal for DE to flush out every time you bump the handle and backwash on the Hayward Perflex filter? Going through a lot of DE...
    12,000 gallon AG pool | Hayward 1HP pump | Hayward Perflex DE filter (I hate DE) | Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you have to add DE every time you backwash?

The answer to your question is yes.. You have to add about 80% of the DE that your filter requires when clean.

But.. the real question is why you are having to backwash so much? Sounds to me like you have an algae problem and you are just treating the symptom and not the problem.

What are your test results from your Taylor Kit? How much FC lose do you have overnight?

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hold on. Bumping and backwashing are 2 different things. You do not need to add DE after bumping, but do after a backwash or cleanout.

See Use and Care of DE Filters
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I missed the Bumping part, only caught the Backwash part. Although I have to admit I have no clue what bumping is, or what it does?

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Hold on. Bumping and backwashing are 2 different things. You do not need to add DE after bumping, but do after a backwash or cleanout.

See Use and Care of DE Filters
    Whenever I bump the filter, DE comes out in the rinse.
    12,000 gallon AG pool | Hayward 1HP pump | Hayward Perflex DE filter (I hate DE) | Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

That may be, but I do not think it can be very much. (I did not know you had a rinse option ... I am not too familiar with the bump filters.)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That may be, but I do not think it can be very much. (I did not know you had a rinse option ... I am not too familiar with the bump filters.)
    It sure seems like a lot.
    Maybe it isn't though.