Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New liner coming this week...first pool..NERVOUS!! Please help!! SWG? What to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

New liner coming this week...first pool..NERVOUS!! Please help!! SWG? What to do?

Hi,

ok..i am panicking...

I am getting a new liner for a pool for a house I just bought, and I would like to know what my steps are and in what order. Never owned a pool before.

I also have a new heater/Salt water generator...Does the SWG need to be installed ASAP once the pool is full of water? I already bought 12 20KG bags of salt, when do I throw that in?

What if I cannot get someone to install the heater/SWG the same day the pool is filled? Will my water turn green.

some steps and things I should look out for would be a great help!!

Thanks..

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New liner coming this week...first pool..NERVOUS!! Please help!! SWG? What to do?

You are not installing the liner, are you?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New liner coming this week...first pool..NERVOUS!! Please help!! SWG? What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    You are not installing the liner, are you?
    No I am not. But the people that are will not install heaters or SWG. So need to know what happens after the liner goes in.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Given your newbie status, I think it would be money well spent to get a pool guy to oversee that work for you. Understand that the liner people won't do it but I think I would find somebody that can supervise the whole thing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

No you do not need to install the SWG right away ... many people NEVER install SWGs. You just have to manually balance the pool.

Are you going to be able to run the pump and filter after the fill before the heater & SWG install?

Do you have one of the Recommended Test Kits?

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    No you do not need to install the SWG right away ... many people NEVER install SWGs. You just have to manually balance the pool.

Are you going to be able to run the pump and filter after the fill before the heater & SWG install?

Do you have one of the Recommended Test Kits?

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Thanks for this.

But if I already have a SWG, can't I just have it installed and ignore the whole manual balance of chlorine?

7. Back To Top    #7

You made it sound like the SWG was not installed yet.
    You need to balance manually anyway before you let the SWG start adding the FC for you.

I hope you realize that a SWG is not a magic piece of equipment that makes the pool maintenance free. You still have to do all the same testing and adjusting. All the SWG does is add FC instead of you having to add bleach daily.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Until you get that salt in the pool and let it dissolve and mix for at least 24 hours, your SWG shouldn't be used at all that first day.

Add some CYA and regular bleach to protect the water immediately. Then you can add your salt, and then test and tweak the other chemicals as needed.
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You made it sound like the SWG was not installed yet.
    You need to balance manually anyway before you let the SWG start adding the FC for you.

I hope you realize that a SWG is not a magic piece of equipment that makes the pool maintenance free. You still have to do all the same testing and adjusting. All the SWG does is add FC instead of you having to add bleach daily.
    Ok got it. So should I not throw in the 12 bags of salt once the water is filled ?

10. Back To Top    #10

How did you come up with needing 12 bags?

You can add them, but still should not turn on the SWG.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator