Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand from below paved coping washing back into pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand from below paved coping washing back into pool

Fiberglass pool with under mount track cover with bullnose pavers for coping. Starting to notice after lots of kids in the pool with lots of splashing I have a lot of paver base sand at the bottom of my pool. It appears a very small gap exist between my paver and the top of the undercount track. The gap varies but never gets larger then. 1/4 of an inch and sometimes the gap is nonexistent.

Should I put some caulk in between the undermount track and the bottom of the paver? Would that last? What kind of caulk? Latex?

Pool is only 3 years old. Maybe the sand will stop washing out after awhile?..

Other ideas?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand from below paved coping washing back into pool

I just put some of this stuff: Loctite PL S10 Polyurethane Concrete & Masonry Sealant, between my concrete coping and fiberglass steps for a similar reason. There is another thread similar to this that recommended either pool putty or polyurethane sealant. I used this because it was for both vertical and horizontal surfaces. If you see "self leveling" in the description, it is almost certainly for horizontal surfaces. I cant tell you if it works or not cause i just put it in today. Mineral spirits for clean up. I could find only gray color. Plan on painting it and another patch spot on the steps when the sealant cures.
    30000 gal inground vinyl liner;sand filter w/glass media, nuvo uv, TF-100 test kit; 25 years on Baquacil, converted to TFP chlorine in 2016

3. Back To Top    #3

A good polyurethane caulk is what you need. It will last 3 or so years
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

check out the 3m marine sealant in this thread. sounds like what you (and I) need.
    What is the best sealant for fiberglass steps to surrounding concrete?
    30000 gal inground vinyl liner;sand filter w/glass media, nuvo uv, TF-100 test kit; 25 years on Baquacil, converted to TFP chlorine in 2016

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pookiesunshine View Post
    check out the 3m marine sealant in this thread. sounds like what you (and I) need.
    What is the best sealant for fiberglass steps to surrounding concrete?
    Thanks all! Will give these a try and report back.