CH disappearing

Sidecarist

Bronze Supporter
Jun 14, 2015
Dayton, TN
I did a quick search and didn't find an answer to this.

I've been away for 3-4 weeks and letting the SWG take care of the pool and it looks great. Before I left I added borates and overshot a bit. The strips indicate 80ppm. I had no trouble other than that and the pool looks and feels great. I guessed at the run time for the SWG after a couple days of testing and got it close. After so long FC was 12 but at least not 30... I'm letting it drift down now and will make an adjustment to get it in range.

When I ran a full set of tests I found that my CH was down from 230 to 200. I'd say water loss was the problem, but my Cya is right at 60 as before I left. I plan on raising it to 260-280 to get in to the suggested range using TFP numbers in poolmath.

I don't think this is a problem, but inquiring minds would like to know...

Current numbers are:
FC 7.5
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 70
CH 200
CYA 60
Bates 80
Salt 4000

I know my salt is high but I can live with that, and I'm keeping the Cya on the low side to allow me to SLAM easier if I need to because I travel so much. Extra run time is affordable in TN.

Thanks!

You have a fiberglass pool. There's no reason to worry about low CH. The suggested values for the SWG are to ensure the CSI stays in the neutral zone. But that doesn't matter to you. You don't have plaster to dissolve. You only need to worry about high CSI, because a fiberglass pool can still develop scale even if it won't etch. You're fine. Go swimming.

Oh I'm going swimming it's 95 here today! The water is clean clear and I never go to the pool store!

I have a grouted tile water line so I want to keep it in range to protect that. I was just curious about where it went...

Thanks guys!

As other said levels are fine.

My only concern would be did the level drop due to a leak. If you do have a leak it is an extremely slow one and not much of a concern, I would do the CH test again in another 3 to 4 weeks if the level goes down any more might be worth a bucket test and an inspection of the solar for bad vacuum breaker or minor hole somewhere.

The solar was off while I was away and the pool level was down only 1/2in. I'm more inclined to think overflow from a week straight of thunderstorms. But again the cya didn't go down at all.

I'm not going to worry about it. I'll just keep an eye on things. Sometimes I have to accept that it's good enough and just go swimming.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.