Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH drop

1. Back To Top    #1

PH drop

I have always maintained my ph between 7.5 and 7.8. It tends to creep up and I usually have to add MA every month or two. My TA is rock solid at 70.

After installing my SWG this week, I've been closely watching PH expecting it to rise quicker than usual, but to my surprise, just the opposite has happened. My PH has plumetted to 7.2 in just a few days. What am I missing?

The only thing that I have done in the last week is added salt to 4000 ppm (I overshot a bit) and boric acid to bring my borate level back up form 30 to 50 ppm. (and added the SWG cell obviously). I also added CYA to bring my level from 50 to 80 ppm,

DUH, just typing this out I answered my own question.

I added 90 oz. of stabilizer which, according to poolmath, lowered my ph by 0.82.

Now the question is should I leave it where it is and let it creep back up or should I add borax to bring it to 7.5?
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: PH drop

I would leave it. Save the borax for a serious over shoot, it will come up soon enought on it's own.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I would leave the PH where it is and check daily to make sure it does not drop any lower. With aeration, over time, your PH will drift up. My PH drifted up every 4 days last year with a TA of 120. Now my TA is at 80 and it appears the PH increase is about every 8-10 days, but not 100% sure yet. On amazon, they have aeration devices that create tiny bubbles for a few $$$, or you could purchase the 360 degree rotating heads (which I have 4 of them), and this is what keeps my PH from staying stable. The positive side is that the water really circulates and I do not believe there are any dead spots. I have only brushed the pool maybe 3 times in 3 years and believe that it is not needed with 8 return jets (4 of them being oscillating).

Here are the links:

The Circulator Rotating Water Jets for Swimming Pools - YouTube

Amazon.com : Circulator 10022a Automatic 360 Rotating Swimming Pool Cleaner Jet with Water Control Bottom Cap(2Pack) : Patio, Lawn Garden

Amazon.com : Splash Pools 30700 Waterfall Pool Fountain : Swimming Pool Pump Accessories : Patio, Lawn Garden
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Leave it.

Here's the secret to a Troublefree pool: In poolmath, if your now readings are within the correct range, you enter them into the target column. Look! No chemicals needed! Micromanaging the numbers to reach some arbitrary target will just keep you constantly adding this and that, which is more like the pool store method than the Troublefree method.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

good call. Thanks everyone! I certainly have enough aeration when I want it. one big waterfall and two streamers to boot.

Will leave it
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Enjoy and have a cold one! TFP you've got it.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Enjoy and have a cold one! TFP you've got it.
    Thanks! I did!