10% liquid chlorine raising pool 0 FC

Sep 1, 2013
Nazareth, PA
I'm a little stumped by this one. I did my full test yesterday and my numbers were:

FC: 1
CC:0
CYA: 30
PH: 7.5
TA:50
Borate: 30
Salt: 2380

I added about half a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine that I got from Walmart on sale for 2.50. I checked this morning with the quick test and I have 0 FC. I added another half gallon and waited a couple hrs and still show 0 on both the full TF100 and Taylor test. Is is possible that this stuff is just totally bad? I can't believe it's providing no chlorine to the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could the bleach be bad (weak) - sure. But based on your exceptionally low FC level, I'm willing to bet you have the beginning of algae in the water (even if you can't see it yet) which is consuming that very little amount of bleach you are adding now. I would prepare for a SLAM (link below) by lowering your pH to about 7.2. Then I would recommend taking your FC to the SLAM level of 12, then test is about 15-20 minutes later. Increase again as needed until you are confident it is beginning to hold and maintain the FC of 12 daily until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.