Bringing back an old debate, sand vs cartridge filter

smooth2222

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
michigan
If you could do it over again or people that have switched, which one do you prefer?

Currently use sand here, thinking of switching to cartridge, this year hardly getting any rain and with the increase in swimmer load i,m back washing more often.

If you have switched from sand to cartridge, did you incease water flow? And how much pressure drop did you get by switching?

My starting psi is 19 and i backwash at about 23-24

Thanks

When I bought the house the pool and equipment came with. It was an old DE filter (Doughboy) that I really didn't understand. Having never dealt with a pool before I bought a cart filter. Absolutely love it. My pressure never really goes up but it's just me and maybe a couple peeps over now and then. I use a Pool Blaster to vac so I manage to keep alot from getting into the filter. Once cotton season is over with I yank the cart, give it a good spray down and add a dose of purifiber to polish up the water. Lucky me, my neighbor just north of me has 7 cottonwood trees. Just behind my fence, about 15 feet from the pool is designated wetlands full of trees and half dead trees. So I get ALL that junk as well. Little "helicopter" season is next. Oh yea! I see you are a fellow Michigander. If you don't mind me asking, where in MI are you located?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.