PVC Pipe vs Flexible Hose - Safe for Pool?

Jul 31, 2015
Windham, NH
So we just replaced our 24' round AG Pool and I'm about to connect the filter and pump. Last year with the pre-existing AG Pool we had, we connected it with flexible hosing and always had an issue with minor leaks. My husband and father are both convinced that if we use PVC piping the heavy flow and vibrations from the filter going back into the pool will cause damage to the pool wall. My father thinks the flexible hosing absorbs most of the vibration and prevents damage to the pool wall. Can anyone advise on this?

If the pool pump was made in 1896 and never serviced, yea maybe. Pool pumps today don't put out that much vibration. I've never seen this happen. AGP manufacturers use hose because it reduces the costs and reduces the skill level required of the homeowner.

If you want less leaks and reduce the risk of big old guys like me tripling over the hoses on my way to trip in the pool go with PVC.

Word of warning. Some manufacturers use non standard size connections. There are threads on here on how to get around that problem and they do seel adapters. But dry fit everything first.

As a compromise you could use flexible pvc pipes. You work with it like ridged pvc pipe, but it has a little flex to it. My above ground pool was installed with this type of pvc 10 years ago and it has held up beautifully in full Texas sun.

+1 for using flex pvc (also called Sauna hose) it has a "little" flex to it, but is primed and glued just like regular old PVC....I use it for both my intake and return fittings off the pool, then attach directly to rigid PVC pipe. Works like a champ.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.