Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Pipe vs Flexible Hose - Safe for Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Pipe vs Flexible Hose - Safe for Pool?

So we just replaced our 24' round AG Pool and I'm about to connect the filter and pump. Last year with the pre-existing AG Pool we had, we connected it with flexible hosing and always had an issue with minor leaks. My husband and father are both convinced that if we use PVC piping the heavy flow and vibrations from the filter going back into the pool will cause damage to the pool wall. My father thinks the flexible hosing absorbs most of the vibration and prevents damage to the pool wall. Can anyone advise on this?
    13,541k g, AG, SHarkline Heritage 24', Hydromax AC DE95 Filter, Vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC Pipe vs Flexible Hose - Safe for Pool?

If the pool pump was made in 1896 and never serviced, yea maybe. Pool pumps today don't put out that much vibration. I've never seen this happen. AGP manufacturers use hose because it reduces the costs and reduces the skill level required of the homeowner.

If you want less leaks and reduce the risk of big old guys like me tripling over the hoses on my way to trip in the pool go with PVC.

Word of warning. Some manufacturers use non standard size connections. There are threads on here on how to get around that problem and they do seel adapters. But dry fit everything first.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome! Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated!
    13,541k g, AG, SHarkline Heritage 24', Hydromax AC DE95 Filter, Vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

Go with pvc... ive seen flexible hose affected by uv rays fail fairly quickly... not sure where you live but here in Australia the suns rays kill almost everything...even uv treated stuff... pressure pvc pipe will last alot longer than flex pipe IMHO...

intex ultra frame round pool 6831g totally hard plumbed with hayward variable speed pump and jandy cs150 cartridge filter... plus a solar heating roof system with a .75 onga pump and 24" sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

As a compromise you could use flexible pvc pipes. You work with it like ridged pvc pipe, but it has a little flex to it. My above ground pool was installed with this type of pvc 10 years ago and it has held up beautifully in full Texas sun.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 for using flex pvc (also called Sauna hose) it has a "little" flex to it, but is primed and glued just like regular old PVC....I use it for both my intake and return fittings off the pool, then attach directly to rigid PVC pipe. Works like a champ.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I feel flex PVC has its place, just don't use it in the south, particularly don't use it underground in the south as it will rot and termites will eat it.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~