Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl top rail protection?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl top rail protection?

Hi Everyone! Brand new here (I put what I could remember in my sig, will update when I get all the paperwork together). Our pool was installed on Thursday (6/9/16). It's a Morada with 9" vinyl top rail. We have a very bad bird problem here. I think I've spent most of my time waiting for the pool to fill just keeping these pests off the top rail or cleaning it. It's already stained purple in some spots. I'm afraid to use anything really harsh (right now just diluted Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle with papertowels). It's driving me crazy. Is there something I can spray on there so it can just be hosed off? I suggested Armor All and my husband freaked and said the sun/UV rays with that on would destroy the rail. Help!
    AGP: June 2016 - 24' x 54" Morada, Blue Torrent Guardian 19" sand filter w/Nature 2 mineral system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl top rail protection?

Welcome to TFP Glad to have another paisano here!!

How about a little diluted bleach water? About a 10% solution in a spray bottle.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

car wax? That is the first thing that came to mind when I read this. I wonder what you could do to keep them off and out of the pool? That will take some experimenting to see what they do not like.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

How about getting a plastic or rubber snake? lay it on the railing and see if that discourages them?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Will try this tomorrow. I just came in. I've been scrubbing all day and the stains are set. I'm so upset. I can't stay out there running around waving my arms and yelling all day. And they just fly over and poop on the water and it FLOATS there. It is so gross. Someone please tell me I'm not the only one that has this happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmmmm...you may be on to something there. Don't they make a vinyl protector for those cover things for pick up trucks?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    How about getting a plastic or rubber snake? lay it on the railing and see if that discourages them?
    Oh they don't like snakes??? My boys have a bunch of the rubber ones! I will try that.
    AGP: June 2016 - 24' x 54" Morada, Blue Torrent Guardian 19" sand filter w/Nature 2 mineral system