Pump keeps tripping off after a few minutes

djlmc5

Jun 12, 2016
Richmond
Hi , ive just install the summer waves above ground 16' 48' pool and the pump for whatever reason shuts down after a few minutes, im not sure if its not getting enough power thru my outlet I should also add im using a ( orange power extension cord ) from the pool to my inside outlet help please

Welcome to the forum!
Couple of things to check for in no particular order. 1.) is the pump getting plenty of water and is the filter/return plumbing free of restriction. If you have a blockage somewhere the pump could be working harder than it should causing it to overheat and cut out. 2.) You could be correct about it not getting enough power do you have a larger gauge cord you can try and an outlet nearer the pump? 3.) You could have a bad GFCI on the pump that keeps tripping. There are been a few that have found the GFCI built into the cord to be less than reliable, assuming that is what you have. In those cases they have cut the GFCI off the pump and installed a normal 3 prong replacement. If you are going to try that make sure you plug the pump into a circuit that is GFCI protected even if it means you have to install a GFIC receptacle. They are $15 to $20 at most any hardware store and are an important safety feature to any electrical device that is near water.

when it shuts down, how does it restart? do you have to manually reset something such as a breaker or GFCI? As you know, or should know, powering a high current draw device such as a pool pump with an extension cord is not a good idea. Most orange extension cords are only good for about 10 amps of current flow. Te longer the cord gets, the higher the amp draw becomes due to the voltage drop. This voltage drop can cause motors to overheat. The best option for you is to have a proper outdoor receptacle installed near the pool pump following NEC 680 guidelines for pool electrical installations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.