while my pool chemistry is about perfect at this time (thanks to this site) there is something I cant get past. I wonder if for example one has a TC of10 and a fc of 2 which would mean a CC of 8. If they shock the pool then obviously the FC and CC will change but doesn't then the TC (even if its all free) simply rise far too high? In other words do you end up with always having a high chlorine level? As the FC does its work and becomes CC then eventually you have to shock again. It just seems like this scenario will lead to a constant high chlorine level all the time.
I will not be shocking my pool just for the heck of it but will only do so when the TC,CC,FC levels dictate that I should or if I have a problem that requires a shock. (I hope that's correct)
But just a general curiosity about how would one get a chlorine level down to 2-4 if they are at say 10 and once in a while finding a need to shock because of too much CC building. It just seems like it would always all be high.
Or (to guess an answer to my own question) does this have to do with CYA? Perhaps if CYA is at a proper level then the chlorine will dissipate and one should ever find them selves stuck at the 10 range. Does this make sense? and I hope I worded it well enough to be understood.