Water circulation behind pool lights

wal81

Feb 8, 2015
North Alabama
I recently removed the pool lights from their niches to check for algae growth. I noticed that there isn't a watertight seal around the lights when they are placed back into the niches, so this probably creates an area of stagnant water behind the lights. Can this cause an algae bloom? Or is maintaining adequate FC enough to prevent algae from growing behind the lights?

Furthermore, the tab (that the set screw is secured into) on one of the lights broke, so now the screw cannot hold the light in place. The light is just sitting in place temporarily...any suggestions on how to fix?

There is thing called a light wedge repair kit. You can get one at INYO Pools or Sunplay.

There can be some funky stuff built up behind lights. We always suggest checking them if there are issues getting rid of algae.

I recently performed a near 100% drain. While the pool was nearly empty, I pulled the light and hosed out behind it really well.

Last weekend, with the pool full, I again pulled the light to replace the bulb - air actually came out when I loosened the fixture. :p

It's certainly stagnant back there! I suppose if there's not much but water in there, you're in good shape. That recess is definitely a place a check and clean out any time you're fighting a breakout though.

I clean out my light niches twice a year. This last week I have had to add more chlorine than normal (more than 2ppm a day with light bather load). Time to clean the niches!

Ladders with hidey under-steps and light niches are the bane of those of us with balanced pools. Chlorine just can't circulate well enough in those areas. You just have to remember to remember them!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.