Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water circulation behind pool lights

1. Back To Top    #1

North Alabama

Water circulation behind pool lights

I recently removed the pool lights from their niches to check for algae growth. I noticed that there isn't a watertight seal around the lights when they are placed back into the niches, so this probably creates an area of stagnant water behind the lights. Can this cause an algae bloom? Or is maintaining adequate FC enough to prevent algae from growing behind the lights?

Furthermore, the tab (that the set screw is secured into) on one of the lights broke, so now the screw cannot hold the light in place. The light is just sitting in place temporarily...any suggestions on how to fix?
    saltwater generator - Hayward turbo cell
    Whisperflo multiport valve sand filter
    25,000 gallon vinyl pool (20x40 rectangular)
    Polaris 280
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Water circulation behind pool lights

There is thing called a light wedge repair kit. You can get one at INYO Pools or Sunplay.

There can be some funky stuff built up behind lights. We always suggest checking them if there are issues getting rid of algae.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

I recently performed a near 100% drain. While the pool was nearly empty, I pulled the light and hosed out behind it really well.

Last weekend, with the pool full, I again pulled the light to replace the bulb - air actually came out when I loosened the fixture.

It's certainly stagnant back there! I suppose if there's not much but water in there, you're in good shape. That recess is definitely a place a check and clean out any time you're fighting a breakout though.
    12,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    PentAir WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, PentAir CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, PentAir SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

4. Back To Top    #4
    Northern IL

I clean out my light niches twice a year. This last week I have had to add more chlorine than normal (more than 2ppm a day with light bather load). Time to clean the niches!

Ladders with hidey under-steps and light niches are the bane of those of us with balanced pools. Chlorine just can't circulate well enough in those areas. You just have to remember to remember them!
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.