Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Toms river NJ

Salt Levels

I don't know if I am on the correct three but I am having a problem with my pool after converting to salt. My generator says one thing and every store I go to gives me different (Higher) salt reading than the other. This has been happening all week since converting even after lower the water level and refilling with fresh water. It's so frustrating.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Salt Levels

My Hayward SWG has consistently from installation reported a salt level
    600-800ppm less than my Taylor test.

As long as the SWG is happy, I just let it go.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Is it making chlorine? If so, don't sweat it.

A Taylor K-1766 salt test may put your mind at ease. You can get one sent to you from for about $26. I always monitor my salt level as my SWG isn't correct yet I'm too lazy to re-calibrate it. It makes chlorine just fine so I don't worry about it.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

4. Back To Top    #4
    Lakeland, FL

SWCG have a range they'll work with, if your high or low salt lights aren't on, and the unit is producing, enjoy the water. I know that sounds lackadaisical but sometimes it's just that easy. If the SWCG is happy, the number doesn't matter. It's just a number.
    NOW: If SWCG is complaining and not producing. Then depending on the age of the cell, it could be on it's way out or dirty.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

West Chester, PA

Have had same issue Taylor shows higher salt level
    West Chester, PA
    25year old 36,000 Gunite with new quartz finish (2014), 1 1/2hp Sta Rite pump, 60sf Pentair DE filter,
    1hp Polaris 380 cleaner, SJ45 Circupool Salt Water Generator