Jun 8, 2013
Lexington, SC
Greetings,

FC 5
CC .5
TA 130
PH 7.5
CYA 40

My pool was mildly cloudy after running pump for over a week straight. Used a little DE as a filter aid and pressure increased from 16 to 20. Overnight pool went completely clear. I thought I was home free. My Kids used the pool while I was at work today and out of nowhere, boom! Pool turned VERY cloudy. Cant see the bottom. Pump running again now 24 hours. Any thoughts as to what happened?

I know on the weekend I bump it up a bit. We have a lot of people in the water, everyone is doing yard work & gardening. I also have a neighbor who swims here and they have their own pool. I don't know what method they use, but it isn't this one ~ so their stuff gets in here. I just like a little peace of mind. And when there are young kids here I do have them take potty breaks, re-hydrate and re-lotion. So I goose in the morning, test everything thoroughly at night & dose accordingly.

Greetings,

FC 5
CC .5
TA 130
PH 7.5
CYA 40

My pool was mildly cloudy after running pump for over a week straight. Used a little DE as a filter aid and pressure increased from 16 to 20. Overnight pool went completely clear. I thought I was home free. My Kids used the pool while I was at work today and out of nowhere, boom! Pool turned VERY cloudy. Cant see the bottom. Pump running again now 24 hours. Any thoughts as to what happened?

How are you obtaining these test results, BHood? Which kit are you using? It sounds like a chemistry problem more than a filtering one, I think.
Per the CYA/Chlorine chart you should be aiming for FC of 5 (which you have) and never go below 3. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
A couple of kids in the pool, perhaps a little pee and suntan lotions, could certainly cause some cloudiness to develop if the FC dropped some.
How are you chlorinating your water? What chemicals have you added??

Bleach is the cure to your cloudiness. More bleach and more filtering. Read: SLAM Process

Thanks for the reply. I am using the TF-100. Strangest thing though, my CYA was at 40 for the past three weeks, really since I opened the pool. Today it is at ZERO. Never seen a drop before in CYA. It's at ZERO. Took another water sample and tested again. It's a ZERO. Can see the black dot clearly with the view tube full.

I know this is contrary to our normal advice but, just for grins and giggles how about taking a sample to the pool store and seeing what they get for that CYA? Just to rule out a reagent problem or something?? I dunno... weird!

I know on the weekend I bump it up a bit. We have a lot of people in the water, everyone is doing yard work & gardening. I also have a neighbor who swims here and they have their own pool. I don't know what method they use, but it isn't this one ~ so their stuff gets in here. I just like a little peace of mind. And when there are young kids here I do have them take potty breaks, re-hydrate and re-lotion. So I goose in the morning, test everything thoroughly at night & dose accordingly.

I hadn't thought about that. My SIL has a pool, is eternally pool stored, and her kids are always in our pool. I will probably bump it up a bit after.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply. I am using the TF-100. Strangest thing though, my CYA was at 40 for the past three weeks, really since I opened the pool. Today it is at ZERO. Never seen a drop before in CYA. It's at ZERO. Took another water sample and tested again. It's a ZERO. Can see the black dot clearly with the view tube full.

Have you added chlorine, waited 10 minutes and retested to see if you reached your target?

Y/S - If you think about it, a visit to the Pool Store rules out virtually nothing. PAgirl - A test result of 5 ppm indicates FC is holding somewhat and really rules out ammonia

Since you are a new poster, please review your testing procedures for CYA....make sure you are using the correct reagent and mixing it correctly.

OP, what is your CH?

Hi Dave,

I went ahead and re-read the instructions just to be sure. I'm still getting zero. Pool water to the bottom of the label, reagent to the top of label. Shook, waited 30 sec, shook again and tested. still zero. Went ahead and began the slam process using the CYA level of 30 on the chart which drives up my FC level some but figured it was a good place to start. Did this earlier this evening and each half gallon of 8.25% bleach adds 2.1 FC to the pool. I added enough to bring FC up to SLAM value and just tested at the two hour mark. My FC went up to six, my CC shot up to 8. SLIGHTLY less cloudy still cant see bottom.

At this point, I think I need to add stabalizer to get me to 30ppm. that will give me a Shock level of 16ppm chlorine. I will try to hold there and SLAM. Any other suggestions? BTW, my CH is 130. Sorry I didnt add that to my earlier post.

Thanks again very much for helping. After being a satisfied voyeur of this forum for a couple of years, I became a donor yesterday because I'm really in need of some support. Let me know if there are any other test values you need. It's 23:15 local time so I'll update in the morning before work my values and how much liquid bleach I have to add. I have no confidence that my FC will increase much. I'm also going to buy some better bleach. This bleach has worked very well for the past two months, but I buy Aldi brand bleach and it could be dated. I cant really tell by any of the markings on the bottles.

- - - Updated - - -

Subscribing to the thread via e-mail. Thanks again.

Thanks for supporting TFP!

I agree with you that it is time to raise CYA to 30 and SLAM the pool. Your theory on maintaining chlorine is good. But, somewhere along the way the FC must have dropped for some reason and some bacteria went to work on your CYA. Musta been those neighbor kids! :)

So, I woke up at 0600 this morning and tested water:

FC 1.5
CC 2.0
TA 30
PH 7.2
CH 110
CYA 10

I brought the pool back up to shock level and headed to work. At 10:00 the FC 2, oldest son added the liquid chlorine to get us back to 16. I went home for lunch at 1300 and tested FC 6, CC 1.5. I changed the bleach over to a Kem-Tech 10% pool chlorine and added enough to bring FC value up to 16.

It's encouraging that the FC is rising/holding and the CC is lowering. I assume that pooldv is right and the balance got away from me. Pool is looking much better today. Not completely clear but night/day different from Saturday and yesterday. I added 40 of stabilizer which is half of what pool math called for. Figured I'd let that sit in the filter for 48 hours or so and retest CYA. If it needs more, I'll add it then. Going to wait until after SLAM to work on my PH which dropped a bit but read that it's an unreliable reading during SLAM and it's not dropped very much.

All suggestions are welcome. Feeling better, but not out of the woods.

Thanks,

Brian

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brian, I also agree that the SLAM is the right route to go. Your numbers clearly indicate something is overwhelming your water. If my Poolmath was correct, your 40 ounces should increase your CYA to about 25 - just shy of our recommended 30. But very close. You said something about "Figured I'd let it sit in the filter for 48 hrs". For future reference:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Good luck on your SLAM!

Thanks Tex! I definitely didn't want the CYA on the pool surface so I read somewhere to send it through the skimmer to the filter where it will naturally dissolve. I was planning on a backwash after 48 hours or so to get rid of any remaining that hadn't dissolved. If I don't need a backwash, I may let it ride and just keep an eye on the CYA level to assure it doesn't get above 30. The sock thing is a great idea! I'll definitely do that if I have to add anymore after this round.

Thanks again,

Brian

Alright friends,

Closing out this post with a success story. I met all three conditions of the SLAM success. I should rename this post CLOUDY to CLEAR :cool:
My pool is crystal clear, as clear as it's been since I bought our home, overnight FC loss was 1, and CC was ZERO. I vacuumed the pool this morning to get out some debris that settled to the bottom. Things are humming along and family is super happy. Thanks to everyone who responded. Best money I EVER spent was in support of this forum.

Brian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.