Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help finding skimmer weir gates

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help finding skimmer weir gates

First, let me say how helpful this site has been. I took over managing my pool a bit over a month ago, and I literally could not have done without the info here.

I need to locate two skimmer weir gates that are 8-3/8 X 5-1/2. All of the "standard" replacements are 8-3/8 X 5-1/4, which does not work for me. I have searched the internet but anything plausible either only lists the width and not the height, or doesn't list dimensions at all.

I cannot find any manufacturer info on my skimmer, and I have looked everywhere, so I have no idea who made it. As far as I can tell, I need a gate with two pins and not one that screws in (no screw hole).

Can anybody help?
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help finding skimmer weir gates

Try Inyopools.com or Sunplay.com

Inyo has been very receptive to personal emails or calls from TFP'ers to locate replacement pool equipment. Give them a call.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I've been through both of those websites (and every local pool store). I'll try giving them a call.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry to bump this up, but I had no luck with either of those sites.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm going to bump this one last time and then give up.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I have a suggestion. My skimmer does not have a door, instead it has a floating weir like this:

Would it be possible to find a basket with your current dimensions that has a floating weir? I know it's not answering your question, but just throwing it out.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Try Amazon. You would be amazed at what you can find on there. Be very specific about what you are searching - if you have a brand name on the old one, better yet.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

8. Back To Top    #8

I will look into that Thanks for the suggestion

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Out of curiosity, why won't one 5 1/4" tall not work?

Maybe you can find one that's 5 1/2" tall and a little wider than 8 3/8" and trim the width to fit.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by proavia View Post
    Out of curiosity, why won't one 5 1/4" tall not work?
    Because it swings out too far and then catches coming back in and won't reopen, leaving my skimmer pump sucking air.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

My homemade weir started sticking because I couldn't get the size I needed... I used the 5 1/4 inch and removed some of the foam (cut a u shape) and so far it has stopped sticking, but it has been less than a week since I cut some foam out. I also cut a little off the sides... not the most efficient at skimming, but the extra water on the sides keeps it from sticking, too.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

12. Back To Top    #12

What I wound up doing was to glue an extra bit of plastic on to give it a place to catch before it comes too far out

So far so good

13. Back To Top    #13

I'll second the floating weir....

When we first moved in 2 years ago I noticed that I didn't have a weir door on either of my two skimmers. I searched around looking for replacements but never followed through. In the mean time I just had to do double duty with the hand skimmer, which was getting annoying. When I first opened the pool two years ago I found among the pool parts left by the previous owner two of those floating weir thingies but at the time I had no idea what they were for. A week or so ago, I was at the pool store and noticed one on the shelf and learned what it was for. When I got home I dropped them in my skimmer baskets and what a WORLD of difference that made. To be honest I felt like a dummy for the wasted labor over the past two years but I'm glad to finally have figured it out
    40K gallons, IG, plaster, circa 1987, 60sqft Crystal Water DE filter, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, SWG, attached spa w/spillway, 2 skimmers.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

I prefer the circular weirs. They don't seem to make as much noise and skim the surface a little more efficiently.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page