Need advice on run time and power setting

Jun 4, 2016
Dallas, TX
This is my first week without using my in-line chlorinator. Yay!
FC 7.5
pH 7.5
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 50
Crystal clear water!!!

I've always had to run my pump 8-12 hours to make sure that I was getting enough chlorine. Now I'm thinking that I may not have to run the pump so long since I'm manually adding bleach. I have the pump set at 3000rpm on my controller because I have 2 scuppers, 2 bubblers, and spa waterfall on the one pump. (My Polaris does have a booster pump.)

Does anyone have any suggestions or ballpark figures on proper power setting and run time? I've read some posts, but the technicalities are beyond my understanding.:confused:

Here is my equipment information:

Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter Model CCP420/Filter area 420/design flow rate (gpm)150
Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS Ultra Energy Efficient Pump
22K gallon freeform inground pool with 9ft round spa with cascade
2 scuppers in a 18" pool wall
2 bubblers on tanning ledge
2 skimmers

Specs per pool builder plan
pool line 2" & 1.5", suction 2.5"
spa line 2.5" suction
scupper lines 1.5"

Thanks so much!

Thanks for the link. Do you know of a link that has recommendations for the flow rate setting? I'm sure that I have my settings all out of whack due to the filter pressure problems that I was having with an algae bloom. I was consistently increasing the flow rate using screenlogic without being able to chlorinate the pool sufficiently…I know why now but didn't at the time. Now that I have that issue worked out, I would like to set my system to work more efficiently.

I may try calling Pentair on Monday. I cannot remember the pool builder's recommendation and cannot find any setting recommendations in my paperwork from him.

Thanks again.

Do you have the Intelliflo VS or VF?

Do you use a pool cover?

Do you have a lot of debris dropping in the pool?

The short answer to your question is whatever it takes to keep the pool as clean as you like it. However, to save energy, you want pump speed/flow to be as low as possible. A little trial and error can help you dial in optimal values. But try 1000 RPM for a few hours and see if the skimmer are collecting the debris. If not dial up the speed. If you use a pool cover, then skimming doesn't matter. The pool cleaner probably becomes the limiting factor although the Polaris does need much in the way of flow rate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.