Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting ready for new pool start-up

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting ready for new pool start-up

Asked pool store to test my tap water in preparation for filling my new pool.

At first they refused to test saying "no sense in testing as tap water changes daily."

I insisted and they ran the test then gave me all sorts bad advise and tried to sell me pucks with all sorts of extra stuff in them.

Pool is a few weeks away from plaster & water fill.

I am ordering the TF-100 test kit next week but was interested in their test results for copper and iron.

The test results they gave me for my tap water did NOT include tests for copper & iron. Do any of the pool stores test for these? (The name of store I went to starts with P). I'm hoping my PB or Wet Edge test these as I don't want to buy an expensive test for them.

Here are the pool store results for my tap water and soon to be my fill water:

TC .2 ppm
    FC .2
    PH 8.0
    TA 120
    CH 125
    CYA 0
    TDS 200

I was surprised at high PH and low Calcium Hardness.
    WetEdge will require PH 7.2 - 7.6 TA 80 and CH 150.

Will do my own tests when TF-100 gets here.

Any thoughts and analysis appreciated in advance of the fill.

Thanks.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting ready for new pool start-up

The Calcium Hardness isn't very low. My CH is 40ish from the tap. The TA will come down as you add MA for the pH.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

How long do you have to maintain the Wet Edge parameters?
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

4. Back To Top    #4

Brian. Per Startup.pdf-calcium levels should be adjusted slowly over the 28 day period not to exceed 200 ppm adjust cyanuric acid levels to 30 to 50 ppm

http://www.wetedgetechnologies.com/f...artUp-2016.pdf

Skippy. I was relieved to see CH at 125 if pool store test was accurate. I thought it would be much higher as I always lived in areas where there was very high levels.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Metal tests are about the only test TFP will "allow" pool store results for LOL and of course those are the ones they did not give you!

Take your water in again and pretend it is pool water. Ask for the metal test with a nice smile hehe

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think the store I went to does the metals test. I may try another pool store for the metals test later.

The report from my water company lists copper on 9/2015 as 0.087 ppm.
    .3 ppm is max permitted MCLG (Maximum Contaminant Level Goal)

They show many other metals (nickel, chromium, lead, etc.) with very low ppm - way below MCLG.

But there is no listing for Iron.