Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Late Opening....CYA 0

1. Back To Top    #1

Late Opening....CYA 0

I got a late start opening the pool this year..well, let me correct that. I kept it open all winter, and it was clear all winter, then when it first got warm, our pump had to be repaired. Seven days no pump= swamp. So I started dumping bleach in, waiting for my test kit refills. Tested tonight, and here are the scary numbers:

FC: 0
    CC: 1
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 100
    CYA: 0 (I filled the tube up all the way to the top and good still see the dot clear as day)
    CH: didn't test (vinyl)

So, I've done the pool calculator and know what I need to add...but can someone please remind me the easiest and best way to raise the CYA to 40? And that's BEFORE I add more bleach, right?

Thanks! It's 95 here this weekend, and my kids are rioting.
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Late Opening....CYA 0

You increase CYA by adding cyanuric acid, often sold as stabilizer or conditioner. It is most commonly sold in dry granule form. Look for a CYA concentration of at least 95% on the label -higher is better. Solid stabilizer is best added by placing it in a sock in the skimmer basket. It can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so don't retest your CYA level for a week after adding some. However, for chlorine dosing purposes, you can dose according to the new target CYA level 24 hours after placing the socks in the skimmer. The pump should be run for 24 hours after adding solid stabilizer and you should avoid backwashing/cleaning the filter for a week.

Since you have a "swamp", you will need to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. For that reason, I would increase CYA to 30 ppm until the SLAM is complete - it will allow you to SLAM at a lower chlorine level vs. a CYA of 40 ppm. Pool Math will tell you how much to add. You may find it easier to divide the total dosage needed among two socks since you have two skimmers. Giving the sock an occasional squeeze will hasten the dissolving of the granules. Note that it may take a day or two for the granules to completely dissolve.

After the SLAM is complete, you can bring the CYA level to 40 ppm if you wish.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, so according to Pool Math, I need to add 132 oz. of the dry CYA granules? I bought three four-lb. bottles of it. If I'm calculating correctly, 132 oz. is 8.25 lbs. So I need to add two full bottles plus a bit from the third. That seems like a lot. Is that right?
    Wendy
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

For your 36K pool I got 144 ounces (9 lbs) to go from zero to 30. But basically (yes) just over 2 full containers. You can split those up into different socks and soak at the same time.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I put one in each skimmer and one in front of the main return.
    Wendy
    TF-100 Test Kit