Did removing water from the well point drain my pool?

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
I have posted a lot lately (sorry) in regards to my current pile of issues. But I was hoping someone could toss me some insight on what "could" be happening. After some help and research I thought my pipe (sticking out of ground) was a "well point". So today I bought a transfer pump and ran a hose to its bottom (15 feet). I then ran the pump for several hours. It never stopped flowing, and was pretty crystal clear. After awhile I noticed my pool water levels started dropping. In all over about 4 hours I lost 5 inches of water total. The possible well point never stopped draining. Now I did have a crack I attempted to seal with epoxy before pumping, but I am not sure if it started to leak when the water level was dropping around the shell. OR, if that pipe somehow is tied into the pool plumbing system, and actually draining the pool water directly. Here are a few photos (they might not even help) but I am really curious as to what could possibly be going on.

Pipe with hose: http://i.imgur.com/FJgdcPMl.jpg

Water pumping out: http://i.imgur.com/gc91hP1l.jpg

Thank you so much guys!

You could have tested it and seen if the chemistry matched the pool. My well point is directly next to my skimmer. I can't tell how far your pool is from that <whatever> that is?

How high is your water table?

Can you show us a picture of the entire pool and set up?

Hey thanks for responding!

That is a great idea I had not thought about! I am going to go out and test the water in a few. The only thing I am thinking is "if" the pool is leak is filling in the water under it being removed it might throw me off.

That pipe is about 5 foot away from the skimmer basket. I can't find my phone this morning but I will update it with a picture soon. Oh and I am pretty sure this means nothing but inside my skimmer there is the main return hole and then a second plugged hole (threaded cap). I tried to look what that was for (hoping somehow it was a well point itself) but I only found one post saying its nothing.

Thanks again!

You could have tested it and seen if the chemistry matched the pool. My well point is directly next to my skimmer. I can't tell how far your pool is from that <whatever> that is?

How high is your water table?

Can you show us a picture of the entire pool and set up?

Here is a picture of my setup: http://i.imgur.com/256Zs7J.jpg

I just tested compared the water and the pool levels are all in. But the water I pump out of that pipe has zero chlorine, and very low PH.

Again though, when I let it pump for several hours my pool water levels dropped a good 4-5 inches.... So you would think it was leaking, although maybe there is a lake worth of water down there?

And how can I tell how high my water table is?

Thank you very much for the help!

It sounds like ground water if it doesn't match your pool water somewhat.

Perhaps if you have a leak, yet the upright water pressure from the ground water is holding the crack tight and when you removed the ground water it relaxed the pressure being forced against the pool?? Just my supposition.

When you remove the cap to that black tube, is it just PVC run down to the ground, perhaps with rocks at the bottom? The reason I ask is that my well point is flush on my pool deck, and is easily mistaken for another skimmer. When I lift the lid (just like my skimmer lid, except square) I have about a 10 inch wide PVC pipe going down to the rock that sits below my fiberglass pool. Its never had water down there (thankyoujeezuz!) and I can see in there clearly. i've just never seen one that sits above ground like yours appears to be.

I wonder if you can use a little dye and add it to the well point water and watch to see if it enters your pool on the bottom??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.