Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Figuring out the dimensions of the steps

1. Back To Top    #1

Figuring out the dimensions of the steps

Especially for those with smaller pools, what are the dimensions of your steps? Our plan is so small that we don't want to sacrifice much space to the steps, but they still need to be safe and functional, of course.

The water depth where the steps will go is 3'6". Also relevant: I am 5 feet tall and that first step's rise needs to be manageable! (Not so concerned with the deeper steps, since buoyancy will kick in.)

Would also love to hear from those who would do their steps differently somehow.

Thanks.
    8K gal 13'Wx19'L IG kidney. 3.5' to 5'6" depth. Pentair: Ultratemp 120 heater/chiller; Intelliflo 2 VS pump; Intellichlor IC40 SWG; cartridge filter; EasyTouch controller. 3 wall returns, 1 skimmer, 1 cleaner line. Tremron Oak Run coping and pavers. Noble Tile Toscano waterline. Marbletite's Freestone pebble in St. Thomas. TF100 and K1766 test kits.

2. Back To Top    #2

I have knee problems and I'm only 4'9" so we needed really functional steps. Here is what we did. These have only a 6" rise.

Mine are going into 4' of water but from the 9" shelf and not the outer edge of the pool (I have a step onto my shelf but on the other side) so something like this could probably be adapted for your needs.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Figuring out the dimensions of the steps

Thanks for the reply!

Thinking at this point that we don't want that first step from the top of the coping to be any higher than 10" but we'll see.
    8K gal 13'Wx19'L IG kidney. 3.5' to 5'6" depth. Pentair: Ultratemp 120 heater/chiller; Intelliflo 2 VS pump; Intellichlor IC40 SWG; cartridge filter; EasyTouch controller. 3 wall returns, 1 skimmer, 1 cleaner line. Tremron Oak Run coping and pavers. Noble Tile Toscano waterline. Marbletite's Freestone pebble in St. Thomas. TF100 and K1766 test kits.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think my very first step is 6" on the opposite end of the shelf, then my shelf is 9" deep. My bench aka 2nd step is 7" below the shelf (16" below water). All the steps after that are in 6" increments. I hope it helps. There are a lot of examples of more functional steps on here. Search for Helen, Suz, and I think Denise (Nursini) all have some form of functional steps in various designs.

Good Luck!

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

5. Back To Top    #5

Ours are roughly 8", from decking. First season now, but I am pretty sure I love them
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks!

(Off to read all of the recommended members' stories!)

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I love my steps. I was originally going for Helen's steps but my pool is too narrow. The first step off the coping is taller than I wanted, about 11" from the top of the deck to the top of the step, but the gunite crew said I needed several inches of water over the plaster. The depth will probably be better once the plaster is applied. My stairs are in my 3 1/2' depth side of the pool. BTW- I'm 4'10 1/2"
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Nursenini View Post
    I love my steps. I was originally going for Helen's steps but my pool is too narrow. The first step off the coping is taller than I wanted, about 11" from the top of the deck to the top of the step, but the gunite crew said I needed several inches of water over the plaster. The depth will probably be better once the plaster is applied. My stairs are in my 3 1/2' depth side of the pool. BTW- I'm 4'10 1/2"
    Ha! Denise! I'm 4'9 1/2! I guess at our height the half matters!!