Ready to quit the pool store revolving door

I've got a small, 6500 gal metal Frame Intex, which serves our needs just fine. Installed a Hayward EC40 DE filter system this year with a skimmer...a much need upgrade from the useless system that comes with the pool. So...started the season out with a swamp, but with hard work finally got it crystal clear. Been going to a local BioGuard dealer and having them test and sell me stuff, but I brought my nice clean water to them a week after they'd done my first test...just to see how things were going.
CYA: 38
PH: 7.3
Total Chlorine: 1.5
Free Chlorine 0.3
Total Alk: 99
Adjusted Total Alk: 88
Total Hardness: 189

I followed their instructions and put in 4# Balance Pak 100, .25# Lo "N Slo, and 3# of BurnOut 3. Pool turned green instantly after adding the BurnOut. Called and was told "there must be something in there that shouldn't be."

I'm an intelligent person and prefer the DIY approach. I also can't afford to spend money when I don't have to (public school teacher!) Bought the Taylor K-2006, but it's a little intimidating, so I guess I'll start watching some videos....
For now...anybody have thoughts on the instant green situation? test showed no copper, but I don't think they test for algae. But would a reaction to algae show up that quickly??

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Hi, welcome to TFP! Put some pool water in a clear container. Does it still look green or does it look yellow? If it looks yellow you may have iron in your pool and you need to add sequestrant before you add any more chlorine. If it is green, then it may be copper. If you used any algaecide while clearing your swamp it may have had copper in it.

If it was algae it would not be an instant color change, that is the interaction of chlorine and metals.

Clear to Green

Just went clear to green in a matter of minutes after adding 3# of BurnOut 3 to a 6400 gal Intex. I'm told it's probably metals and I need a sequestrant, but I also am reading that it should be added before chlorinating. So...two questions...how do I test to see if it is metals, and if it is...how do I deal with a sequestrant while my water is chlorinated? Thanks!

Re: Clear to Green

A pool store can test it for metals-------if so, just let the FC drift down and then add I think it's Jacks Purple Stuff. You don't give us any water testing numbers to go by and how they were obtained.

The metal tests test how much metal is in solution. When the metal has oxidized and caused the water to change colors it may not be detectable since it has dropped out of solution. If there is no additional metal still in solution the test may show 0 as the result.