multiple leaks at return(?) where it meets the pool wall

Gizelle

Silver Supporter
Jun 12, 2015
Genoa city, wi
Hi,
I would appreciate any advice on the following situation. I have a very small (12 foot) above ground pool, and suddenly today, while the pump/filter was running, I saw some water leaking from where the return hose enters the pool and then, boom, the plastic type hose popped off and water went everywhere. I reattached the hose and tightened the clamp and everything else around it (nothing moved at all), but as soon as I turn the filter/pump on, the 3 areas marked on the picture below spew water. Spew might be a bit strong, but leak isn't strong enough to describe the water coming out. As you've probably figured out already, I am not very pool savvy, but I am a dedicated BBB user! The pool is 3 years old and hasn't had any problems so far.....
Thanks in advance for any ideas/help!View attachment 49989

that type connection is prone to leak, they do them that way because it is easy for the manufacture and the user, but it will start leaking.. the best way to take care of this is to hard pipe.. you can replace that piece also but within a couple years you will be right back where you are now...

you can use this piece for hard pipe or use your hose :)
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1023G Vinyl Fiberglass Inlet Fittings for Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

if hard pipe 1.5 inch use these unions :) these will also work for your skimmer and should work for your pump if it has 1.5 inch connections..
Custom Molded Products Union 1.5 Slip - 21063-154-000 - INYOPools.com

if not hard pipe use this one and it will also work for your skimmer...
Amazon.com : Pool Pump and Filter Universal Hose Adapter : Intex Pool Drain Hose Connector : Patio, Lawn Garden

I hope this helps :)

Thank you for the response. I am not very confident in my abilities to use hard pipe since I don't even know what that is, so I guess I will go with the other one. If you are still around, could you answer a few more questions? Sorry, in advance, if they are really dumb questions.... 1) Do I need a shorter hose? It seems so heavy like it is pulling down on the part where it connects to the pool. 2) Do I need a new gasket (I think that's what is called)- the black thing that goes between the outside pool wall and the connector? And the most important question? How do I get the plastic connector off? is it connected to the inside eyeball, and if so, do I need to remove that as well?
any chance I can just use some kind of sealant instead??

no issues :)

1. the hose is not the problem its the weight of the water, your kind of stuck like that unless you hard pipe..
2. you may be able to change the gaskets but if your going to change that just replace the whole setup for a couple more dollars
3. that piece unscrews (once the hose is off) it is behind the eye, once the eye is removed and the hose then it just unscrews..

you will need to drop the water below this level to change it out..

you "may" be able to stop the leaks with silicone but it usually does not work

hard pipe is like this, it really is easy but not for everyone :)
nyMiMIFh.jpg

8FMxyP2h.jpg

QcEweP2h.jpg

GMigqNih.jpg

Thank you, again! The pictures really help. I did place a few cinderblocks together as a base to rest the hose on and so far that seems to have stopped the leaks, but I am sure it is only temporary. The water finally warmed up enough to swim in (no heater since it is about 250 yards from the house, which made running (digging) a gas line very expensive), so I think I will wait until the water gets a little colder again to drain and do the hard piping.
I have a few more questions, which I promise will be the last ones:) 1) My pool is not an Intex or any kind with a soft side, so is the hard piping done the same way as in the picture above? 2) If I change the return to hard piping, do I need to do the same with the hose that comes into the filter from the skimmer? Thank you again!

exactly the same way and the same part and if you are doing one side with hard pipe and unions do all of it, it will all work better, look better, and you will not have to worry about it anymore :)

and we love questions around here, ask away :)

If there was one, I lost it because there is not one now! Since putting down a few cinder blocks for the hose the rest on, I have been able to run the filter for about 30 minutes at a time before a small leak (a drop every few seconds) starts from the very top of the hose right above the clamp, but at least now it is only leaking at the hose, not from all three spots! So, I have only turning the filter off for about an hour or two every 1/2 hour. After I read your post, I went and rechecked the hose. I definately don't see a rubber washer, and I don't see any cracks or anything in the hose. Can I pick up a washer at a hardware store, or is ther a specific type I need from a pool store or Amazon? Plus, where does the rubber washer go? I don't think I have any rubber washers on the other hose either- the one going from the skimmer to the filter. Thanks for your time and help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.