Want a SWCG, what pump?

May 17, 2016
Marion, NY
Hi all, I'm in the final planning stages for a 24' round radiant pool. The place I'm purchasing it from doesn't sell (or remotely understand) saltwater systems. They are spec'ing the system out with a single speed pump (Hayward 1.5 hp). When I inquired about a two speed pump, they told me that they prefer single speed pumps when there is no center drain, in order to move the water better.

While I can see the benefits to the higher speed to circulate the pool, would I be better off going with a two speed knowing that I'm going to put a saltwater system in? I would think that I could run the high speed for a few hours a day to circulate, then run the low speed for the majority of the time just to make chlorine, but wanted to get more informed recommendations. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

One the fancy and variable speed end, you could go with Pentair Intelliflo and IntelliChlor IC40 for both. Other than cost, I am not sure why anyone would not buy a variable speed at this point. They have proven to be valuable in other industries for much longer than the pool industry. I believe if you get the filter from Pentair as well (have 3 from them) and installed by a pro, you will get a 3yr warranty on all of it. If you don't want a variable speed, they most will recommend a 2 speed at minimum.

Whatever you do, you should oversize the SWG. I have a 12k pool and have a IC40 and am running at about 45% for about 8 hours a day right now. If I had a IC 20, I would either have to run for 16 hours or would be running at 100% for 8 hours. Just does not give much flexibility. Once I get settled in with my pool (it is new), I may reduce the # of hours of pump time and increase the output of the SWG. This would reduce the electricity I am using.

The Pentair Superflo is a great 2 speed pump and the clean and clear 320 is an awesome filter.. if you have higher electric rates then the intelliflo is a great choice, if you go with it, install whole house or pump surge protector as those motors do not like voltage spikes, brownouts, nearby lightning strikes, you name it..

Amazon.com : Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com: Eaton 109420 Ultra Surge Protection 3Rd Edition: Electronics
Intermatic AG3000 120/240 VAC Universal HVAC Surge Protective Device - Computer Surge Protectors - Amazon.com

SWG: I love the curcupool but the pentair and hayward units are nice also and all will work great for your size pool, we recommend 2 to 3 times larger than your pool, so 30k to 45k SWG.. if you are going with automation stay with that type equipment...

Here is a great comparison chart Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools
Pentair IC40
Hayward T15
RJ45
SJ40

I hope this helps :)

Thank you Cowboycasey and Matt. I'm still trying to figure out if I would really benefit from the variable speed option - electricity rates are decent here - I'm already pushing my budget, and this just adds more. I don't see myself getting into full automation, but then again someday???

The two speed however makes sense to me with the SWG.

Thanks again!

Thank you Cowboycasey and Matt. I'm still trying to figure out if I would really benefit from the variable speed option - electricity rates are decent here - I'm already pushing my budget, and this just adds more. I don't see myself getting into full automation, but then again someday???

The two speed however makes sense to me with the SWG.

Thanks again!

I just had a Radiant 24 installed 1/2 buried with blocks and pavers around. Still to complete electrical, grading, and landscaping. But my package did come with 2 speed pump, but it is just a simple rocker switch, not programmable or anything. So in my case if you use a Woods digital programmable timer (which I got 2, 1 for pump, 1 for SWG), whichever position you left the switch is of course what speed it runs when timer starts it. I find the low speed does not move the water enough to pull it into the skimmer and filter it. So then I would personally question the need for 2 speed, unless you just wanted to circulate water to some degree. But then you would need to be present and place it back to high speed to actually get any sort of surface skimming action.

For SWG, the store had some offerings but also seemed new to them. They offered originally some sort of copper system with chemicals. We opted to try the larger Intex unit since it says it was rated for 15,000 gallons and was only $110 new. Now that the water temp is up to 80+, I'm not convinced it was the right unit. It does make chlorine not sure if enough and scales up quickly (poor cleaning action built in - supposed to reverse polarity). The timer is very simple on it just a 24 hour clock restarts with power off (hence need for Woods timer). Being new to this stuff, I also didn't realize PH & alkalinity will be high when using SWG. (I think they all do this, but read some can inject muriatic acid). So I have been trying to bring down my PH and keep chlorine levels in check with liquid chlorine. Getting real test kit soon as the strips are not adequate.

I still think SWG has benefits especially if you if travel and other reasons but there is still some work involved. Definitely get a large unit that provides self-cleaning and possible acid feeding / more features than Intex. The pump I'd say from my experience, the single speed probably isn't that big of deal initially even though it will use more electricity. The more expensive 3 speed units that can be programmed is probably the way to go on a pump. Just wanted to share my limited experience since it sounds like we have the same pool.

Thank you for the feedback. I wasn't aware the two speed pumps weren't necessarily controllable by a control timer. I'll have to look at what the pool store is offering. Still trying to figure out what my best options are, we have a couple of weeks until you start my mind the install and I have to make up my mind soon. Thanks again for the input.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JC67, great first post :)

They do have controllers for 2 speed pumps, both digital and mechanical...

The 2 speed/ slow speed is used and really great for SWG as they create chlorine, skim a little and keep everything moving while costing very little to run.. it sucks running a SWG with a 1 or 1.5 hp and only have high, and if a smaller SWG running 12 to 24 hours would be way overkill in power use..

A 2 speed or VS are great pumps :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.