Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 weeks after opening - Still cloudy.

1. Back To Top    #1

2 weeks after opening - Still cloudy.

Hello all, turning here because I am about to take a hammer to the pool.

First of all, I have a 10,000 gallon above ground pool with a sand filter. We have a single speed pump and all plastic piping/hoses. Opened the pool two weeks ago, was winterized with leaves and debris in the water (I was out of town, mother is older and couldn't do it until late season). Filled the pool up to level to begin circulate and added initial shock (4 bags of burnout 3). Brought PH up to correct level 7.5 and got hit with a huge algae bloom from all the debris left in the water. Got all of the debris taken out, treated the pool with Backup to kill the algae and then flocced the pool to get the dead algae out. Replaced the sand in the filter because it hadn't been replaced in 7 years. At this point I blew a spider gasket and had to replace that as well so the pump was out of commission for 24 hours while the silicon was drying. That was two days ago. The pump is up and running, but the water is still cloudy. I never have had an issue in previous years and believe it is because we opened so late. Levels for the pool as of an hour ago are the following: TDS: 1000, CYA: 38 Tot. Chlorine 8, Free Chlorine 7.8 (just shocked it earlier today). PH 7.8, Tot. ALkalinity: 120, Adj. Tot Alkalinity: 109, Tot. Hardness 260, also tested for phosphates and they were at 0. Following the Algae getting killed off I made sure I got rid of them.

Pictures attached are before firing up the pump after replacing spider gasket (pool had been setting for 24 hours and after firing up the pump (pool clouded up almost immediately) can see the bottom the pool barely. IMG_3797.jpgIMG_3799.jpg

Am I simply being impatient, or am I missing something that is readily apparent? It is worth mentioning that after firing up the pump again after replacing the spider gasket there was algae on the side of the pool. I brushed most of this off in hopes that the shock would take care of the rest.

Any and all help appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 weeks after opening - Still cloudy.

Those are pool store results aren't they? We don't trust pool store results for many reasons, one being that their goal is sales so those free tests may not be particularly accurate.

You need your own test kit. The TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006, available from Amazon or TFtestkits.net

Try reading this: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and SLAM
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Will a k-2005 work? only one in stock at a local store.

Edit: searched the forum, getting a k-2006.
    10,000 gallon AG. Sand filter (both filter and pump hayward). Pump is a single speed. Pool is 10 years old, liner replaced last year. Test kit: K-2005.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just picked up the kit, CYA was 30, PH was 7.6 alk was 120. FC was 3. Started SLAM just a second ago trying to bring FC up to shock level. Wish me luck!
    10,000 gallon AG. Sand filter (both filter and pump hayward). Pump is a single speed. Pool is 10 years old, liner replaced last year. Test kit: K-2005.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good luck!!

(did you get the FAS-DPD chlorine test? That part of the kit is the most important test right now for you. Its the one that uses the powder)
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain