Help! Sand in pool!

Jun 7, 2016
Enon Ohio
Hooked up brand new sand pump with brand new pool and noticed sand in the bottom after attempting to backwash. Realized hoses were connected incorrectly so we fixed it.
Ran pump several days later and more sand is back. Help!!!! It's right under the port that send water back in.

Sand returning back to the pool is usually a sign of one or more of the following:
- Incorrect sand used (must be #20 silica pool sand)
- Too much sand was added
- Damage to, or separation of, internal parts (laterals, center stand pipe, etc) (Did you fill the filter halfway with water "before" adding the sand?)
- Multiport valve damaged or internal spider gasket not sealing properly

If all of this is new equipment, you might hope that it's something simple like the sand, or inspecting the laterals inside to make sure nothing came apart. If you rule everything out and believe it may be a defective part of the filter, it should still be under warranty. If the sand returning in from the jet(s) is small, you might try hanging a sock with a small hole in it over the jet opening for a while. It may catch some of the smaller sand particles until the issue resolves itself if it's just the type of sand that was used and nothing else.

It hasn't had any sand in the last week since the original two dumpings and I've been running it nightly. Not sure what to do---if I should just return and get new pump to be safe or cross fingers it worked itself out. I'm using correct sand.

I am having the same issue with my Intex sand filter. I have tried the pea gravel and changed the sand two different times. I think I have found a fix though. I bought a Hayward S166T Pro Series sand filter. It will be here Wednesday. Hopefully no more sand in my pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.