Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pre-purchase questions - 1st AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Pre-purchase questions - 1st AGP

Hello all!

We are closing in on our first purchase but wanted to get some questions answered first to make sure we are getting the correct equipment. We are looking at 21/52 or 21/54. We are mainly looking at Pool Supply World (based on what i've searched here, theyre pretty good) and are looking at the below pools:

Sharkline Venture

Verona by Lomart

We like the Sharkline because of the slightly longer warranty, but the Lomart has the resin uprights and is made in the same factory as Doughboy.

Opinions on the 2 pools?

We were looking at the pool pump that PSW supplies in their package - Waterway 16" Sand filter with pump, is this a good combo?

Should we look at a Hayward? I found the following on Amazon and thought it was a good price:

Amazon.com : Hayward SP1580 Power-Flo LX Series 1-Horsepower Pool Pump with Cord : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

Amazon.com : Hayward S210T Pro Series 21-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

Regarding filter size - 16" big enough? is 21" too big?

Does PSW provide the skimmer if we DO NOT purchase the "Base Kit"?

We will be purchasing most of our accessories on Amazon, prices seem to be a bit better there.

Also, we have rabbit burrows in our back yard, any idea if these will be a problem for the pool? I wouldnt want rabbits digging through the liner!

Thanks all!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pre-purchase questions - 1st AGP

Okay here goes:

I have a 16" pool and wish I had gone bigger. Had a 24" AG years ago and it was huge. For me the sweet spot would be 21"
    I have heard good things about the Sharkline.
    If I could afford it I would go with Doughboy as they seem to last forever. "If you can afford them"

Okay, thats my 2cents worth.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

3. Back To Top    #3

We priced a Doughboy locally, its was $2800 for a 21/52 with Doughboy Liner and Filter/Pump combo. Unfortunately, thats outside our price range as we need to have some trees cut down and have our service panel updated to accommodate newer breakers (currently using a split-bus system that we can no longer source breakers for).

If we went Doughboy, it would be a 16/48, which we feel is too small, we have 2 kids (6/8) and they like to invite their friends over lol.

Unkyjoe - sorry, I was referring to the sand filter size when i said 16" or 21", i have since edited the post above to reflect this. Thank you for your input though!!

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, so we have decided and purchased the pool -

Sharkline Harbortown 24' Round 54" Depth
    Pentair Optiflo 1.5 HP 2 Speed pump (should we get a 1HP instead?)
    Pentair SD60 Sand filter (is this big enough?)

Does this sound like a good combo?
    We are getting it from our local store (comparable to online prices).

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Pentair SD60 Sand filter (is this big enough?)
    what is the flow rate (in gpm) of that filter. It should be 70 gpm or larger.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know much about the filter combo you have but I will say that we just had a sharkline Harbortown 18 x 33 oval installed in late April. We love our pool! I have a 2HP 2 speed pump and a 150 square foot cartridge filter.
    18'x33' Sharkline Harbortown AG, 16,700 Gal. 2HP 2 speed Pentair Optiflo pump
    150 sq. ft cartridge filter. TF100 Test kit with Speedstir!

7. Back To Top    #7

I think you will like the 24" pool, I know we did when we had ours years ago, that thing was HUGE!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    what is the flow rate (in gpm) of that filter. It should be 70 gpm or larger.
    We could also choose a 150 Sq ft cartridge filter, by Hydromatic, but in my research I could not find anything about them, so opted for the SD60. We have not picked the pool up yet, and can still change it out if suggested to do so.

Per Pentair's site:

Product Model Effective Filtrtation Area (Sq Ft) Max Pressure (PSI) Flow Rate (GPM) 8 Hour 10 Hour 12 Hour All Sand Required (Lbs) Carton Qty Carton Wt (Lbs)
    145315 SD 35 1.4 30 35 16,800 21,000 25,200 100 1 22
    145320 SD 40 1.8 35 40 19,200 24,000 28,800 150 1 24
    145322 SD 60 2.3 40 60 28,800 36,000 43,200 200 1 28
    145367 SD 70 3.15 50 70 33,600 42,000 50,400 300 1 58
    145386 SD 80 2 in. 3.5 50 75 36,000 45,000 54,000 350 1 76

9. Back To Top    #9

This is the spot we will be putting the pool, ignore the dead grass/sod removal in some of the pictures. We were going to put the pool there, but the power lines were too close. We had to have some tree's removed, which is that big dirt mess you see there.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

If you can move that filter up to the 70 gpm SD 70, you will enjoy less backwashing, better filtering, etc. The SD 60 is OK but I would say, if the upgrade is not outrageous, get the sd 70....you'll have a great combination of pump, filter and pool size.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Dave, thanks for the input, I'll call the pool store tomorrow and see about upgrading.

12. Back To Top    #12

Got in touch with the pool store, they dont carry the SD70 (but they have one on display?!), they only have the SD80 and its a $250 upgrade cost!! We'll be sticking with the SD60 at this time due to the install cost being higher than originally quoted. Pool store said it would be $1k to install, its leaning more towards $1500. Not too happy with that.

Also, is this the appropriate place to post pics during the install? Would like to document it!!