Breakpoint Shock calculations

Can someone tell me how much shock to add if I have .5 CC and 1.5 FC in a 25,000 gallon pool using using 70% calcium hypochlorite? I figured it to be 16.52. BUT I had to go to the pool store for the shock. The guy there said to throw two bags in tonight and then check again tomorrow. I'm trying to be more specific than just randomly throwing bags in. This is my first post and I am hoping that someone will understand what I'm doing. Thanks so much.

Hey there Sburke7, welcome to TFP. Our son just moved to Johns Creek, nice area! :)

We also don't believe in tossing in random chemicals willy-nilly, so we're in agreement there. How are you testing your water?
We need to know:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Your chlorine requirement is tied into your CYA (stabilizer) level. Please see this--> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Also- ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

We do not follow the "Breakpoint Chlorination" method to eliminate CC, and in most cases would not consider .5 CC a problem unless there are other issues with the pool. I commend you for wanting to be more specific, and that is what our pool care methods are based on.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit, hopefully one of the recommended test kits. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

I recommend the TF100 as it was designed for residential use and has more of what we do use and less or none of what we don't use often.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

So, how does your water look? Is the CC of .5 your biggest concern?

Hi there. I notice you are a moderator. I am having trouble with your site. I don't really see a "pool school". I only see random information and nothing specific or anything that is really educational concerning understanding the chemicals in my pool. Maybe I'm missing something. i have the Taylor K2006 and have been testing and have figured out most everything so far although I'm not having any problems. I just don't want to ever have problems or at least be very prepared. Am I missing something regarding your site? The booklet that came with the test kit was the best thing I've come across so far. I expected at least something like that on your site but haven't found anything. Also, I can't figure out how I started this thread so I couldn't start another. Also, is there a way to know when someone responds to your forum questions? Thanks so much for your help.

Hi there. I notice you are a moderator. I am having trouble with your site. I don't really see a "pool school". I only see random information and nothing specific or anything that is really educational concerning understanding the chemicals in my pool. Maybe I'm missing something. i have the Taylor K2006 and have been testing and have figured out most everything so far although I'm not having any problems. I just don't want to ever have problems or at least be very prepared. Am I missing something regarding your site? The booklet that came with the test kit was the best thing I've come across so far. I expected at least something like that on your site but haven't found anything. Also, I can't figure out how I started this thread so I couldn't start another. Also, is there a way to know when someone responds to your forum questions? Thanks so much for your help.
How are you accessing the site? If on a computer then there is a tab at the top of each page labeled "Pool School" that takes you to the page Mr Bruce linked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Consider your CYA as 40 and dose as per this chart- [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

You have a little room to top up your calcium, gotta protect that fancy finish y'know? I would suggest about 50pppm more

your TA will come down naturally on its own as you use MA on your pH.

what does "little room to top up your calcium" mean? Also what does MA stand for.

- - - Updated - - -

what does "little room to top up your calcium" mean? Also what does MA stand for. Also, I have no clue what that chart means. Can't understand it and the explanation is not good.

Consider your CYA as 40 and dose as per this chart- [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

You have a little room to top up your calcium, gotta protect that fancy finish y'know? I would suggest about 50pppm more

your TA will come down naturally on its own as you use MA on your pH.

Not sure how she got .9 CSI, in pool math I get .07 which is about perfect.

IMHO, all his numbers look very good as long as he doesn't let FC drop

image.jpgThank you all for your help. I think I'm getting thing a little better as I read through forum problems and fixes. My numbers really are all good. My husband is keeping the pool at 90 degrees and it is currently 90 degrees outside just about! Not my choice but he pays the bills. I have been worried that this will cause me problems in keeping up with chlorine levels and such. With my I ground cleaning system and filter pump the builders pool guy said no need for me to clean filter for a year and no need to brush or Vacume unless something obvious comes up. Makes me feel a little useless but I guess that's what I have paid for and it can do its job well for me.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

You brush a pool to disrupt any algae and biofilm that may take hold on the walls and surfaces to allow the chlorine to get to it and gets everything into circulation- its not the same as the in-floor cleaner which is taking care of debris.

As to the calcium, I was thinking you had a SWG chlorination system. Pool School - Recommended Levels

How are you sanitizing this beautiful pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.