Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Breakpoint Shock calculations

1. Back To Top    #1

Breakpoint Shock calculations

Can someone tell me how much shock to add if I have .5 CC and 1.5 FC in a 25,000 gallon pool using using 70% calcium hypochlorite? I figured it to be 16.52. BUT I had to go to the pool store for the shock. The guy there said to throw two bags in tonight and then check again tomorrow. I'm trying to be more specific than just randomly throwing bags in. This is my first post and I am hoping that someone will understand what I'm doing. Thanks so much.
    25,000 gal in ground and Spa with Midnight blue Pebble Tec, Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy Pro Series Stealth pump, large sun shelf, 2 waterfalls with one pump each, in ground cleaning system, UV light cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Breakpoint Shock calculations

Hey there Sburke7, welcome to TFP. Our son just moved to Johns Creek, nice area!

We also don't believe in tossing in random chemicals willy-nilly, so we're in agreement there. How are you testing your water?
    We need to know:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

Your chlorine requirement is tied into your CYA (stabilizer) level. Please see this--> FC/CYA Chart

Also- ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

We do not follow the "Breakpoint Chlorination" method to eliminate CC, and in most cases would not consider .5 CC a problem unless there are other issues with the pool. I commend you for wanting to be more specific, and that is what our pool care methods are based on.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit, hopefully one of the recommended test kits. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

I recommend the TF100 as it was designed for residential use and has more of what we do use and less or none of what we don't use often.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

So, how does your water look? Is the CC of .5 your biggest concern?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi there. I notice you are a moderator. I am having trouble with your site. I don't really see a "pool school". I only see random information and nothing specific or anything that is really educational concerning understanding the chemicals in my pool. Maybe I'm missing something. i have the Taylor K2006 and have been testing and have figured out most everything so far although I'm not having any problems. I just don't want to ever have problems or at least be very prepared. Am I missing something regarding your site? The booklet that came with the test kit was the best thing I've come across so far. I expected at least something like that on your site but haven't found anything. Also, I can't figure out how I started this thread so I couldn't start another. Also, is there a way to know when someone responds to your forum questions? Thanks so much for your help.
    25,000 gal in ground and Spa with Midnight blue Pebble Tec, Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy Pro Series Stealth pump, large sun shelf, 2 waterfalls with one pump each, in ground cleaning system, UV light cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Here is Pool School Pool School - Pool School The ABCs of Water Chemistry link on that page is a great place to start.

Here are the extended test instructions (similar to the card that came with the test) Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

Please ask away if anything is unclear
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Sburke7 View Post
    Hi there. I notice you are a moderator. I am having trouble with your site. I don't really see a "pool school". I only see random information and nothing specific or anything that is really educational concerning understanding the chemicals in my pool. Maybe I'm missing something. i have the Taylor K2006 and have been testing and have figured out most everything so far although I'm not having any problems. I just don't want to ever have problems or at least be very prepared. Am I missing something regarding your site? The booklet that came with the test kit was the best thing I've come across so far. I expected at least something like that on your site but haven't found anything. Also, I can't figure out how I started this thread so I couldn't start another. Also, is there a way to know when someone responds to your forum questions? Thanks so much for your help.
    How are you accessing the site? If on a computer then there is a tab at the top of each page labeled "Pool School" that takes you to the page Mr Bruce linked.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

at the top of the thread, there are options on the right under "thread tools". you can subscribe to a thread. And in your general profile settings you set up how you want to be notified.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

9. Back To Top    #9

A couple of more links to helpful info in Pool Scool
    TFPC for Beginners
    Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

I guess this is all a little more simple than I thought. I have read every link and I guess I just thought there would be more. Still can't figure out the forum but I will keep trying.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just for the record these are my calculations:

FC 4
    CC 0
    TA 100
    PH 7.5
    Cya 38
    CH 300
    Sat index .9

12. Back To Top    #12

Consider your CYA as 40 and dose as per this chart- FC/CYA Chart

You have a little room to top up your calcium, gotta protect that fancy finish y'know? I would suggest about 50pppm more

your TA will come down naturally on its own as you use MA on your pH.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

13. Back To Top    #13

what does "little room to top up your calcium" mean? Also what does MA stand for.

- - - Updated - - -

what does "little room to top up your calcium" mean? Also what does MA stand for. Also, I have no clue what that chart means. Can't understand it and the explanation is not good.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Consider your CYA as 40 and dose as per this chart- FC/CYA Chart

You have a little room to top up your calcium, gotta protect that fancy finish y'know? I would suggest about 50pppm more

your TA will come down naturally on its own as you use MA on your pH.
    Not sure how she got .9 CSI, in pool math I get .07 which is about perfect.

IMHO, all his numbers look very good as long as he doesn't let FC drop
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

15. Back To Top    #15

image.jpgThank you all for your help. I think I'm getting thing a little better as I read through forum problems and fixes. My numbers really are all good. My husband is keeping the pool at 90 degrees and it is currently 90 degrees outside just about! Not my choice but he pays the bills. I have been worried that this will cause me problems in keeping up with chlorine levels and such. With my I ground cleaning system and filter pump the builders pool guy said no need for me to clean filter for a year and no need to brush or Vacume unless something obvious comes up. Makes me feel a little useless but I guess that's what I have paid for and it can do its job well for me.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

It is recommended to brush at least once a week.
    That's a beautiful pool! When you get the TFP sparkle, you'll be amazed!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

17. Back To Top    #17

You brush a pool to disrupt any algae and biofilm that may take hold on the walls and surfaces to allow the chlorine to get to it and gets everything into circulation- its not the same as the in-floor cleaner which is taking care of debris.

As to the calcium, I was thinking you had a SWG chlorination system. Pool School - Recommended Levels

How are you sanitizing this beautiful pool?