DE Filter Question

Philo

Oct 8, 2015
San Diego, Ca.
Am I correct in assuming that when the DE Filter pressure climbs to 25, you can lower that pressure by back washing only and not have to take apart the filter and hose off the grids?
If so, do you need to re-charge the DE after the back washing each time?

I find that just backwashing get about 75% if the DE out, but leaves big spots with lots of DE. What I usually do is backwash, the take the cover off the filter, remove the drain plug and
hose out the filter to get the rest. Once a year I will pull the filter out to make sure I get everything.

Yes you need to recharge after any backwash.

The forum guideline is that you backwash when the "clean" pressure has increased by about 25%. After every backwash you will need to add about 80% of the amount of DE that you would add when you take the filter apart. The problem is that backwashing only removes some of the dirty DE, each successive backwash removes less and less DE, until you are forced to take the filter apart.

In my case, I have a vs pump, running at a pretty low RPM, so my normal filter pressure is only a couple of pounds. I never backwash anymore. I have two rent house with DE filters and just clean them twice a year.

Jim R.

I am a bit of newbie here but, would say it depends on the exact filter you have. I have a DE filter that looks just like a sand filter from the outside with a multi position handle on the top. Mine has like a million (sarcasm) bolts to take the top off. I was told to just backwash and recharge. My neighbor on the other had has no position handle on the top and like a big snap ring belt thing to take the top off his. I think that style requites to rinse out the grids every time. Either way you always need to recharge the DE.

Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.