Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it bad to leave our spa drained?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it bad to leave our spa drained?

First time pool owners, opening our pool - I have another thread about that.

We drained the spa so we could clean it/check it out. Can we leave it drained? I saw something in another thread that made me think we might cause damage leaving it empty. It's been in the 90s yesterday and today, and it's in full sun most of the day.

Untitled by Carrie, on FlickrUntitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Is it bad to leave our spa drained?

I know with plaster, you can run into trouble if you let it dry out and bake in the sun. You really don't want to leave it dry and empty unless you absolutely have to, and if you must leave it empty, keeping it moist is a good idea.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

3. Back To Top    #3

Hmmm. okay. I'll share that with the other half. Can you give me more specifics about what it can do? cause the plaster to crack or to shrink?
    27,000 gal. plaster IG with round spa built in 2007. TFT-100 test kit XL w/ Speedstir
    Jandy CL580 cartridge filter. Jandy 1.0 hp filter pump, 1.5 hp booster/spa? pump.
    Aqualink RS One Touch controls. Paramount PC2000 In-floor cleaning system (1.0 hp pump?). Jandy LX pool heater, apparently broken.
    Missing so much gear due to previous foreclosure, it's sad.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

My understanding is that it can cause the plaster/pebbletec to crack and potentially separate from the walls at temps over 90F. That said, I see at least one other post on the forum where people have pebbletec'd right up the side, out of the pool, and over the decking in AZ with no issues, so your mileage may vary. So there's a risk of turtleshell cracks and the finish separating from the shell, but I can't say for sure what will happen.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

5. Back To Top    #5

That pebbletec that rolls up out of the water has a specific set of specifications about how far out of the water it can go and the moisture content is maintained by water wicking up through the plaster.

Everything you say about the risks associated with plaster/pebble left dry is correct. It can shrink, crack and delaminate from the substrate.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach