dmd5 here (dmd was taken... )

dmd5

Jun 11, 2016
Dallas, Tx
New member, short time stalker.

Friend sent me to this site and I found it interesting. Pool was salt but the generator and board blew out from a lightening
strike, too expensive to replace.

Now I have a inline tablet chlorinator, but i know from past experiences that the stabilizer can get too high so I am glad
I found this forum.

I do travel and have to leave the pool for weeks sometimes so I guess I will have to use the tablets then.

Pool is in full sun except for late in the day, gets some shade from the house then for a few hours as the sun sets. Pool can get
pretty warm in the summer, almost 90 deg. I usually run the pump about 7 hours at night with sprayers going to cool it down.
Inout water is from city and is pretty alkaline, haven't had to add yet but will soon.

From the pool store:
Chlorine 4
Total Available 4
calcium 270
CYA 80
ALK 80
PH 7.2
copper 0
iron 0
Phos 300

Pool store says they can't get chlorine, but my local Lowes has it at 10% for $3.25 a gallon.

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like it's time for a trip to Lowes!

Yes, the water here is very alkaline and prone to scale. It is pretty important to manage the water chemistry to avoid scale. It could add or subtract years from the life of your plaster. Maintaining the CSI between -0.3 to 0 will prevent scaling in the pool and the SWG cell, if you get another one. Poolmath, link above, will calculate the CSI number after you enter all the test results.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

It will work a lot better if you test your own water with a good test kit. I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. I've been buying it there for years and it is a great kit.

A saltwater chlorine generator is the easiest and best way to chlorinate your pool while away.