Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA is 0. Can I still SLAM?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA is 0. Can I still SLAM?

I recently posted in Getting Started about my journey to open the pool this year. Long story short...cinder block dropped in pool by anonymous family member, patched, rain water gathered, algae, pool filled with new water on top of that rain water, hoses fixed, water is circulating, and now I'm here.

So the pool is green obviously and I just ran some tests on the water.

Results are:

FC/CC: 0
    CYA: 0
    PH: ~8.8
    AK: 45

I added about a pint of MA about an hour and half ago to lower my PH and will go back out and test the water again shortly.

Question is, do I need to get my CYA in order before I start to SLAM?

I do believe I have some conditioner or CYA in my pool shed, but will need to double check.
    10K GAL, AGP Vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar (SD40) filter, Pentair Dyanamo High Performance Pump (DYNIIN1-1)
    HP 1.50 SPL, Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Pool Vacuum, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA is 0. Can I still SLAM?

You need to bring your CYA up to 30ppm or the sun will just burn off any chlorine you put in the pool and it won't be there fighting algae.

Use PoolMath to guide you on how much CYA to add.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Just added liquid conditioner using Pool Math which should bring me up to between 30-40ppm. Should I wait for that to register before starting to SLAM? I have successfully SLAM'd in the past but I am just very impatient this year due to what happened and want to get as much done and do it as quickly and efficiently.
    10K GAL, AGP Vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar (SD40) filter, Pentair Dyanamo High Performance Pump (DYNIIN1-1)
    HP 1.50 SPL, Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Pool Vacuum, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Nope, SLAM away. Set your FC level based on what you added and where you think it should end up, FC/CYA Chart. Test CYA again in a day or two.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach