Just learning and have a few questions

Renee1

Jun 6, 2016
Jackson, NJ
I just received my test kit and although I posted the other day about having algae, I no longer have algae but not sure what to do next. I quickly tested the Free Chlorine and got a value of 1.5. My total chlorine was 3.0. My water is clear and looks great, but as I said we had algae for 2 weeks. We used pool store shock for a few days, then started using just plain chlorine as suggested by your forum. It seems to have cleared up the algae problem. Do I need to adjust anything else? My CYA is registering at 40, although I'm nervous about that being correct since my last trip to the pool store I was told it was 67.

Do I need to shock anymore, or just maintain now?

Thank you for your help,

Renee

33,000 gal. Vinyl liner inground pool in New Jersey.

We need to know:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Can you get those to us for a complete picture of your pool? As it stands now with the info you give of FC 1.5 and TC of 3 (means you have 1.5 CC) you still have something in the water consuming chlorine. Not all algae is obvious and can hide in areas and cause you grief.

Which test kit are you using? We trust pool owner testing far over pool stores. We're not trying to find problems to sell you cures for, y'know?

Hi, I have the TF-100. The numbers I just gave were from right before we added chlorine. Should I wait now to test again and get the other numbers so it will be more accurate, or is it ok to test now?

I'll redo them all if you think it's best.

Renee

Ok here are my values:

FC. 1.0
CC. 2.0
pH. 7.5
TA. 120 - 130. (I was unclear as it turned a light red/pink at 12 drops, but red at 13 drops)
CH. 425
CYA. 52 (again, approx.).

Water looks perfect....just as an FYI. I'm assuming this "method" of caring for our pool requires us to no longer use the chlorine tablets we used to put into the filter, and only use the liquid chlorine? Also, we have purchased an 8% chlorine solution, so is that ok?

still not sure if I need to shock, or jsut use a maintenance amount of chlorine daily....

Thank you for your help.

Renee

Ok here are my values:

FC. 1.0 too low
CC. 2.0 too high
pH. 7.5 can be dropped to 7.2 as with the above numbers you have something in there eating chlorine. You may have a very short SLAM
TA. 120 - 130. (I was unclear as it turned a light red/pink at 12 drops, but red at 13 drops) When you got to that brightest pinky red, add a 14th drop and if it doesn't change it anymore you ignore that last drop and call it 13. So its 130. It will lower naturally when you drop the pH a bit.
CH. 425 How did this get so high in a vinyl pool? Don't need calcium in vinyl.
CYA. 52 (again, approx.). We'll call it 50

Water looks perfect....just as an FYI. I'm assuming this "method" of caring for our pool requires us to no longer use the chlorine tablets we used to put into the filter, and only use the liquid chlorine? Those tablets either contain chlorine PLUS cya or calcium. We don't recommend routine use of them as they raise the cya or calcium levels beyond manageable without folks being aware. Stick to singular chemical products such as the liquid chlorine (bleach).

Also, we have purchased an 8% chlorine solution, so is that ok? Most household bleach is8.25% now. That's fine, but check out pool liquid chlorine 'cause it is usually 10-12% so may be a better price. Just make sure to get fresh stock, not anything stored out in the garden center or old production stock.

still not sure if I need to shock, or jsut use a maintenance amount of chlorine daily....Although your water is clear, something is eating your chlorine. Those CCs are too high, so I would say yeah-a SLAM is in order.
Read this please: SLAM Process

Thank you for your help.

Renee

You're very welcome :)

Thank you again for your help. We will do the SLAM method as you suggested. How do I lower the PH? I will keep looking to figure that out in case I missed it somewhere....I have been reading here every chance I get but it is a lot of info. To take in all at once. oh....our calcium is that high because our pool store recommended we buy and add a bunch of "calcium up" when we first opened the pool a few weeks ago. This was before we found this site by the way. Now what do we do about that?

Renee

You use acid to lower pH, we suggest muriatic acid available in most hardware stores as it contains only Hydrogen and Chlorine, stuff you already have in your water. A little bit goes a long ways, pool math link above will tell you how much you need to add, use caution, wear eye protection, and pour very slowly as the acid is much heavier than the pool water and will sink all the way to the bottom without mixing if you pour too fast.

Ike

p.s. you may be fine with your pH at 7.5 no need lower it until it raises, note pH test is not valid during the SLAM

also don't worry about TA now, it is the last thing you should adjust, fine tuning really

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.