Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I might have a leak

1. Back To Top    #1

I might have a leak

Last night at six o'clock I put a mark the height of the water level on my skimmer face plat this morning at seven o'clock I noticed the water level is about a half inch lower in my 18 x36 inground pool. The filter was not running at night any ideas thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I might have a leak

You need to perform a bucket test to determine if it is evaporation versus leak.

Pool School - Leak Detection
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry I did the bucket test and it's not evaporation

4. Back To Top    #4

Tell us a little bit about your pool? Is it vinyl, fiberglass or cement? Do you have any idea where it might have a leak from? Check around the pump and filter while its running and see if its wet? Look for any odd wet spots near the pool that might lead you to suspect a pipe underground is leaking. Look for any damage to the surface of the pool that can be quite small yet water leaks from.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool is a vinyl liner pool with brick pagers around it there is no leaks around the filter area

6. Back To Top    #6

just had an extension of a prior leak rexamined and the rip had spread

probably happened when i lowered my water to get CYA out.
    Pool Type: In Ground, Liner. Shape: Free form/kidney
    Size: 32,000 gallons
    Filter/Pump: Brand new (2016) DE Hayward 4820 / Brand new (2016) Pentair VST 2
    Heater: Yes (older)
    Location: NJ. No tree/leaves overhead. Limited shrubs near/over waterfall feature

7. Back To Top    #7

Then you're just going to have to put on some goggles and dive in to inspect the liner. If you find questionable areas that you think might be damaged and leaking use a little food dye to determine if the area "sucks in" the dye. Does that make sense?

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes thanks I ordered a leak detection kit with a syringe from amazon wish me luck

9. Back To Top    #9

You've got positive ohms comin' atcha!

My cousin just bought a beautiful house in PJS

10. Back To Top    #10

Awsome where we mite be neighbors

11. Back To Top    #11

A update I had a diver check out my pool he found one tiny hole in the deep end and patched it. But it still leaks the same he had me plug all the returns and skimmers and take off my pump basket lid and over nite it leaked about half as much any ideas I'm confused thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

On a side note I had a enersol solar heating system install done this spring and a swg they both work great but when the solar heat is on bubbles come out of the returns when it's off no bubbles out of the returns thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

my leak guy is coming back friday b/c I am losing about the width of a piece of scotch tape over 24-36 hours. already have ugly patches in 3 places (even though it is the same as my liner, it is not faded, so it shows up more prominently).

He had me perform a test w/ pumps off as well, but it was so hard to really measure accurately if there was a difference. any difference could be accounted for in evaporation in one day vs the next.
    Pool Type: In Ground, Liner. Shape: Free form/kidney
    Size: 32,000 gallons
    Filter/Pump: Brand new (2016) DE Hayward 4820 / Brand new (2016) Pentair VST 2
    Heater: Yes (older)
    Location: NJ. No tree/leaves overhead. Limited shrubs near/over waterfall feature