Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand or vermiculite as a base for an above ground pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand or vermiculite as a base for an above ground pool?

We are setting up an above ground pool. It is 27 ft diameter. Which is best for the base, sand or vermiculite? How do they compare in cost? Ease of use, etc?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand or vermiculite as a base for an above ground pool?

Our pool store sold us pure vermiculite telling us it was pool crete (vermiculite/cement premix). We put down 4x8 sheets of 1.5" styrofoam where rectangles would fit, and put vermiculite in the curved voids (not realizing what we had yet)- mistake!! After filling, the vermiculite compressed just enough so our vacuum hangs up on the styrofoam-vermiculite joints. We are living with it for now. Wish we'd have cut styrofoam to fit the curves, and used premade foam cove all around.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought native soil was what you installed the outer frame onto with a true metal sided above ground pool, the center of the pool is then filled with X tons of sand spread out and forms a cove around the base for the floor of the pool. There are lots of great videos on Youtube about the install of a metal sided above ground pool.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

4. Back To Top    #4

I just did ours. It was set up on hard native ground. Then we put down 3/4" extruded 4x8 sheets of foam, then the foam cove. It is so smooth. Reminds me of a vinyl lined in ground.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

5. Back To Top    #5

Speaking from experience, a good excavator is worth their fees. That rent a laser level from HD or Lowes with a transit stick, place your pavers under the uprights and check the level as you go adjusting it. But again like I say, do a search on YouTube or go to a reputable above ground pool store online and watch their installation videos over and over, you will see how the pros do it.

You can use sand for the bottom, or like Jamison said you can use foam for the bottom, and you can buy the foam cove for the inside where the liner butts up "this is a critical part of the structure of the pool" just like it being level. Or you will have issues.

P.S. It's hard work but well worth it, just dont get in a hurry and take shorcuts, you could damage the pool or injure yourself.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube