Help! New Hayward C900 Star-Clear Plus Going Over Pressure Every Day!

Hi! Last weekend we finally got our old Hawyard Sand Filter replaced with a new Hayward C900 Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter after it died when we went to open the pool the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

The new filter and pump have been working fantastically, a notable difference from what we had before, HOWEVER, on day 3 the pressure gauge popped up over the 10 psi indicating the filter needed a cleaning. And then ever day since. When opened up, the cartridge hadn't been clean and spotless, but from what I hear, we should only really have to clean it 1-2 times a season. I am not sure just how dirty they can get before they need to be cleaned, but even for an opening, it seems excessive. Does anyone have any thoughts on this??

Meanwhile we are struggling to get the pool clean which is hard when the water flow drops down due to the pressure change. We have run the filter 24 hours/day since it was installed. While our water is no longer green (yay), it is completely opaque despite our water analysis coming up balanced.

We haven't been able to vacuum because we can't even see to know what we are doing. Anyone able to help would be my hero! We are dying to finally get into our pool before July for once!!

Water Analysis as of 6/11/16 at 10:45 AM

Free Available Chlorine (FAC): 3 ppm
Total Available Chlorine (TAC): 3 ppm
Calcium Hardness (CH): 250 ppm
Cyanuric Acid (CYA): 35 ppm
Total Alkalinity (TA): 90 ppm
pH: 7.8
Copper: 0
Iron: 0
Phosphates: 0

Images of the pool are below:
IMG_1233.jpgIMG_1235.jpgIMG_1234.jpg

Welcome to TFP :)

with that small of a filter you're going to be cleaning it every other day or more when you are doing a SLAM, it will work better once you are done killing algae but you may only get a month before you need to clean it... To give you an idea, I have a 100 sq ft cartridge on my 700 gallon spa and 320 sq ft on my pool, I only clean my pool filter once a year but I have not ever had to shock/SLAM my pool so I have no idea how long it would last cleaning/filtering algae (and I hope I never do)

using the pool store to test is like driving blind, it may get you where you're going but it's going to cost way more money :)

let us know if you would like some help on cleaning and maintaining your pool and we can go from there :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.