Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: constant higher than target FC ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

Needham, MA

constant higher than target FC ok?

First few weeks with our first pool. Here are current readings.

FC: 7.5
    TC: 0.0
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 110
    CH: 220
    CYA: 70 or 80

We have yet to establish a good summer weather pattern here in the Boston area. We will get a nice day in the low 80s, but then have several rainy days in the 60s. We have been using the pool after work with a water temp of 84 with help of the solar cover and heat pump. It has also been a very bad year for pollen. It just won't stop! I have my pump running for 12 hours a day to both keep the pool clear and have it heated for us a night when we get home. I have the SWG set for 20%. My FC is usually between 7.5 and 8.0. I am having a tough time telling if the CYA is 70 or 80. I have been having to do the test inside lately. Seems like whenever I am home and can do the test at a time of the day when the sun is out, its cloudy. PH seems to be holding around 7.2 with all the rain. My question is this, over time having my FC being higher than the target FC for my CYA level, will I be doing damage to the liner and equipment? Should I just unplug the SWG for a day or two and bring it down? I am just a little worried with all the rain and pollen something could change rather quickly.
    2016 Spring build. 13.5x28 Kidney IG vinyl pool, 9250 gallons. Pentair 1.5hp superflo variable speed, Pentair Clean and Clear 240 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Hayward Heatpro 110,000k heat pump, Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Polaris 280, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sacramento, CA

Re: constant higher than target FC ok?

There are no problems with those FC levels. It's right in line with the FC/CYA ratio for a regularly chlorinated pool. It shouldn't damage your liner or equipment in either situation.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM