Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster Pump replacement recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster Pump replacement recommendation

We have an old (year unknown) PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump. We've replaced the seals a year ago, now it's leaking again. We're just going to bite the bullet and replace it. Reading reviews of the pump, a LOT of people just aren't happy with the LIFE of it .. Some say their new-one died withing anywhere from a year to 2 years. So my questions:

- Are there NEWER models being sold, or are they all the same? I note PB460-1 as the model on AMAZON.

- I note that SOME online sites have this as "ZODIAC", others specifically say "POLARIS". Why? OEM vs NOT?

- Are there much better/reliable Pumps other than Polaris on the market that I should consider? I assume that I need to maintain the same Specs as the PB4-60 ? (e.g., .75 HP, 115/230 V, 60 Hz)

Thanks so much for any advice..
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Booster Pump replacement recommendation

Zodiac owns Polaris so they are one in the same.

My advice would be to look into a cleaner that doesn't require a booster. CA, energy is expensive and boosters are energy hogs.

But in your signature you have a robot. Why are you using a Polaris?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Yea, I finally figured out Zodiac = Polaris .. I use the Robot every couple of weeks to get the really fine dirt off the bottom that my Polaris 280 doesn't pick up. Helps to keep things sparkly.

We have Solar (electricity) for daytime use. Our bills are pretty small.

Thanks
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

So why don't you just use the robot all the time?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, it's HEAVY to take out of Pool all the time to Clean, Wear & Tear on the Parts (expensive to replace/fix when the time comes) .. I just use it for some "fine tuning" when small dirt is evident that the 280 doesn't get.

Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

When my Hayward booster pump died in May last year I replaced it with this Hayward booster pump

Amazon.com: Hayward 6060 .75 HP Booster Pump: Patio, Lawn Garden

So far it has worked great with my Polaris 280 and is very quiet (the old Hayward booster pump was always noisy).

I see there are some complaints of lack of longevity in the reviews. Time will tell if longevity is an issue. The old one lasted 11 years.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004