LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have an old (year unknown) PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump. We've replaced the seals a year ago, now it's leaking again. We're just going to bite the bullet and replace it. Reading reviews of the pump, a LOT of people just aren't happy with the LIFE of it .. Some say their new-one died withing anywhere from a year to 2 years. So my questions:

- Are there NEWER models being sold, or are they all the same? I note PB460-1 as the model on AMAZON.

- I note that SOME online sites have this as "ZODIAC", others specifically say "POLARIS". Why? OEM vs NOT?

- Are there much better/reliable Pumps other than Polaris on the market that I should consider? I assume that I need to maintain the same Specs as the PB4-60 ? (e.g., .75 HP, 115/230 V, 60 Hz)

Thanks so much for any advice..

Zodiac owns Polaris so they are one in the same.

My advice would be to look into a cleaner that doesn't require a booster. CA, energy is expensive and boosters are energy hogs.

But in your signature you have a robot. Why are you using a Polaris?

Yea, I finally figured out Zodiac = Polaris .. I use the Robot every couple of weeks to get the really fine dirt off the bottom that my Polaris 280 doesn't pick up. Helps to keep things sparkly. :)

We have Solar (electricity) for daytime use. Our bills are pretty small.

Thanks

Well, it's HEAVY to take out of Pool all the time to Clean, Wear & Tear on the Parts (expensive to replace/fix when the time comes) .. I just use it for some "fine tuning" when small dirt is evident that the 280 doesn't get.

Thanks

When my Hayward booster pump died in May last year I replaced it with this Hayward booster pump

Amazon.com: Hayward 6060 .75 HP Booster Pump: Patio, Lawn Garden

So far it has worked great with my Polaris 280 and is very quiet (the old Hayward booster pump was always noisy).

I see there are some complaints of lack of longevity in the reviews. Time will tell if longevity is an issue. The old one lasted 11 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.